Can I "rebottle" a bottled batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omazing

Reaction score
Hi guys, usually I bottle my wine in plastic bottles, i usually consume them within a month so I'm not too concerned about longevity. Apparently the last wine batch I made was to gassy- I usually don't degas. I noticed the plastic bottles started bulging from the bottom and having a hard time standing upright.

I thought of opening all the bottles in a big bucket and degas them wine and then rebottle it, is that gonna ruin the batch?

the wine was brewed on October/15 and bottled on Nov/4 (not sure if those details are important).

any help is appreciated.

you can definitely crack the caps open and let the CO2 out. you're going to find it to be carbonated. if that's ok then just recap. if you want to eliminate the bubbles you'll have to deal with that separately.

If I want to get rid of the gas, do I risk of getting it oxidized? could someone explain the oxidization process for me? why is my wine at risk of being oxidized after bottling but not while bottling?

Risk of Oxidation is waaaay overblown. Leave a bottle of wine open for 3 days? Sure, it'll oxidize. Crack, or have to rebottle something? No big deal. People just need something to worry about, I guess.

Back