Can I re-use my sanitizer solution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint_Doyle

Reaction score
I don't like to waste things, and so when I'm brewing I often make up a 5-gallon batch of sanitizing solution and use it to clean everything. I start out by making it in my sanitizing bucket, dump everything in there, then rack the solution into the keg/carboy. I'll rack the solution from vessel to vessel, giving everything its turn until returning the solution to my sanitizing bucket.

My question is: Is this an acceptable technique, or am I just spreading contaminants around?

I've recently questioned my sanitizing techniques due to a case of mold in one of my carboys. I've been using One-Step cleaner, but after reading posts here I plan to switch over to Iodophore.

Nothing wrong with your technique.. You can use the same bucket all day for several purposes as long as the stuff your are rinsing (carboys, etc) dont have a bunch of crap on them- ie, they should be relatively clean to start with.

The mold in your carboy is most likely from sitting around with moisture in it (not being properly dried).. By the way, One step is not technically a "sanitizer", it's a cleaner.. I would invest in some iodophor for sanitizing..

Hope this helps
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/one-step-logic-cleaner-sanitizer-23791/

Nothing wrong with your technique.. You can use the same bucket all day for several purposes as long as the stuff your are rinsing (carboys, etc) dont have a bunch of crap on them- ie, they should be relatively clean to start with.

The mold in your carboy is most likely from sitting around with moisture in it (not being properly dried).. By the way, One step is not technically a "sanitizer", it's a cleaner.. I would invest in some iodophor for sanitizing..

Hope this helps
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/one-step-logic-cleaner-sanitizer-23791/

That is only for Star-san. One-Step is a peroxide based cleaner/sanitizer and needs to be replaced after each use. The peroxide is literally used up when cleaning/sanitizing. Same thing goes for Iodophor I think (someone correct me here).

EDIT: Why does everyone think that One-Step is not a sanitizer, it is registered for this by the EPA with efficacy data, and has been used in this fashion in many industries for many years?

Latest posts

Back