Can I put my yeast starter to sleep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
Okay,

So I was gong to be brewing a Wit today until I suffered an equipment failure. So the yeast starter I had prepared 48 hours ago (the first one ever) is now unlikely to be used for a few days.

I have put it in the fridge, and it has separated out (see photo),...is there anything else I need to do to it to preserve it until I am ready to use it?

And when I am ready to use it, do I just bring it up to room temp and pitch it?, or do I decant it first?

Appreciate any advice, as I am still pretty new at this.

photo-4.jpg

I frequently leave my starter in the fridge for a couple of weeks or more. In try to keep it in for at least 48 hours to crash and decant it. If it's been more than three weeks or so, I'll step it up with another dose of fresh wort a few days before pitching, then back in the fridge to crash again.

Keep a sanitary lid on it and you're fine.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll leave it where it is then, and use it in a few days after decanting.

Back