Can I put my homebrew in keg now???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afchad

Reaction score
I brewed my first beer kit and its time to keg...I wont be able to get my c02 for a cpl of days...can I or should I go ahead and put it in a keg a few days before C02 is applied to carb it. As always thanks in advance for helping this newb!

The problem with doing that is that you will be unable to purge the air out of the keg with CO2 after you transfer it. This will expose your beer to oxygen until you get your CO2. I have no idea how much affect that would have over a couple days, but would avoid it if possible.

Any problem with my beer staying in the primary after fermentation is complete?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

As long as you don't leave it for months its no problem at all. How long has it been in primary?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I would for the CO2 before you keg it. Fill the keg up with CO2 before you rack the beer into it.

i'd wait on the keg. No prob with sitting in the primary. In fact, it's probably helpful, if anything. :)

How long has it been in primary for? Most folks leave their brews in primary for at least a couple weeks before racking. I would agree that waiting for C02 is the nest option in order to reduce exposure to oxygen. RDWHAHB.

^That's nothing. Wait for your CO2, then clean, sanitize and purge the keg with CO2 before racking your beer over. I'd recommend new gaskets and keg lube also (if the keg was used for sodas previously).

its been killing me to wait this long lol. I usually rush things. With this hobby, I am trying to use restraint lol

Most folks leave their brews in primary for at least 2 weeks. It is very important to be patient in this hobby. You could rack into the keg if you were planning on drinking this beer quickly as oxidation doesn't show up for a month or so, but it's not really worth it IMHO. Just wait for the C02...

Back