Can I "Pause" Lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSager89

Reaction score
I apologize if there is a thread like this already, I just have NO clue how to search for it.

Anyway, I am just wondering: If I have a lager that is lagering (cold-conditioning, fermentation is complete), can I take it out of the lagering chamber for a period of time w/o any adverse affects?

I'm asking because my fermenting chamber is also what I use for my primary lager fermentation, and I can only fit 2 kegs or 1 bucket in to it. Would only need the current lager to be out for probably 10 days or so.

Thanks!!
:tank:

I apologize if there is a thread like this already, I just have NO clue how to search for it.

Anyway, I am just wondering: If I have a lager that is lagering (cold-conditioning, fermentation is complete), can I take it out of the lagering chamber for a period of time w/o any adverse affects?

I'm asking because my fermenting chamber is also what I use for my primary lager fermentation, and I can only fit 2 kegs or 1 bucket in to it. Would only need the current lager to be out for probably 10 days or so.

Thanks!!
:tank:
how long has it been in cold conditioning? The answer is it will probably be fine assuming you are not talking about 90*f or anything crazy. storage of finished beer at say 60* is not going to hurt anything.

The one caveat I will add is that if you have any o2 exposure or low level infection the warmer temps will allow those effects to present more quickly. but if you purged your keg well and everything was sanitary it's likely just fine.

Thanks guys.

I am planning on lagering in the keg, but I'm still more confident in letting the primary go in the bucket.

The temp would actually be <60. We have a great closet to store things in that separates the bedroom from the outside......it's pretty solidly a chilly 56-58F.

Thanks again!

that's totally fine. 55 is where I primary my lagers at. I PITCH at 45 but primary brings it up to 55.

I do this all the time to bottle carbonate my lagers. Ferment at 55, diacetyl rest at 60. Add priming sugar and bottle the beer. Let carbonate at 65 o 70 degrees for 2 to 4 weeks and then put in Fridge to start lagering.

Back