Can I move GFCI spa panel breakers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I have a main panel (200A) a sub panel (100A) and my (50A) GFCI spa panel off of that.
And the two smaller panels are both in the brew area.

I need to install a 50A outlet somewhere for my controller.
My spa panel does not have room for the outlet.
But the 100A subpanel has plenty of room, and it has open slots for more breakers.

I haven't done much work inside a panel.
Does anyone know if I (or an electrician) can just take the GFCI breakers out of the spa panel and install them in the subpanel? That seems like it would save room.

Thanks!

short answer...maybe!

Physically If the breakers are the same make/model then yes you can. If they are not, then you can't - its not a code issue here, they simply won't fit on the different panel.

Now the 2nd part of the question is a code issue... which can only be answered who knows the code of your area. If code allows for this spa sub panel to not need to exist, then sure. If your local code requires a separate panel for spa hookups than no.

If you do not have experience working in the box I would suggest bringing in a local electrician to look over the system, they will be able to answer code questions for you.

short answer...maybe!

Physically If the breakers are the same make/model then yes you can. If they are not, then you can't - its not a code issue here, they simply won't fit on the different panel.

Now the 2nd part of the question is a code issue... which can only be answered who knows the code of your area. If code allows for this spa sub panel to not need to exist, then sure. If your local code requires a separate panel for spa hookups than no.

If you do not have experience working in the box I would suggest bringing in a local electrician to look over the system, they will be able to answer code questions for you.

+1

Unless the make and model of the panel/breaker combo match you are pretty much out of luck. There is some limited cross-compatibility but it is very limited. Also just because they may be the same brand, there are at times different lines in that brand which are not interchangeable.

While you could add an appropriately sized breaker to the 100A panel, shop around. You may find that another Spa Panel is the same price or cheaper because you won't be make model limited in your shopping like you will be in trying to find a breaker for the 100A Panel. This is one of the reasons a Spa Panel is so popular. Another is the portability aspect. For instance you might install a regular outlet (Non-GFCI) in the basement and another in the garage. Now your electric brewery can be moved between the two locations based on preference without having to spring for another GFCI installation. Or between your place and some remote brew location.

Latest posts

Back