Can I do anything with ONLY kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilishprune

Reaction score
When I get to my apartment this afternoon, I expect to see 4 shiny kegs greeting me. However, there is not going to be anything else present along with them, because I ordered those things from a different company.

My question is, if I don't have CO2, gas line, disconnects, etc. is there anything that I can do with just the cornies?

I was thinking that I could fill them up with some beers that I had in fermenters and prime them with sugar and then wait 3 weeks before I hook them up in the keezer. Anyone see a problem with this, other than not being able to purge the headspace with CO2? Shouldn't be that big of an issue right? Similar to filling bottles, and as long as I don't shake them too much you wouldn't expect that many issues with oxidation, the way I see it.

I was thinking that I could fill them up with some beers that I had in fermenters and prime them with sugar and then wait 3 weeks before I hook them up in the keezer. Anyone see a problem with this, other than not being able to purge the headspace with CO2? Shouldn't be that big of an issue right? Similar to filling bottles, and as long as I don't shake them too much you wouldn't expect that many issues with oxidation, the way I see it.

The only potential issue I see is if the lid doesn't seal well with zero pressure inside. I prime my kegs and seal them up, but I pump about 20psi or so into the keg after I close it to make sure that it's well sealed (and then I disconnect the gas).

If the lid doesn't seal at zero pressure, then the priming sugar might ferment but the CO2 produced could escape.

Get a hand-held keg charger ot put a cart. or two of pressure in them to seal the lids. You'll still need a CO2 system to push the beer out when it's naturally carbed, I think. That's the stage I'm at. I've got two kegs (more on the way) but no gas and no fridge yet. I'm using them to ferment in.

So I think that I'm just going to try to take the things apart and get them cleaned up. One still smelled like coke so it probably needs a good soaking.

The kegs that I bought had been cleaned---do I have to replace the O-rings necessarily? I bought a set for each keg just to be safe, but I don't want to waste them if I don't have to. They were shipped under pressure, so I know that they can hold it.

Edit: Nevermind, can't get the posts off. I think that I'll just soak them in oxyclean overnight and only change the lid O-ring.

you should try to get the posts off. all the orings are what store the soda smell, so those should be replaced if they are used. if you put on new orings, chances are you will never have to replace them again (provided you care for them, don't nick them and keep them lubed)

I might try and go to the auto parts store and get a socket that could work for these things. Do you know what size the posts are on pin locks?

I took my posts off and the lid and left them soaking in a bucket of oxyclean, then I filled my keg with oxyclean and left them for a couple days. No more soda smell from anything after rinsing.

When you first get a keg, you definitely want to take it all apart and replace the five main Orings - one lid, two dip tubes, and two posts. Often times I need to use my breaker bar to get the posts off the first time - it is usually a bloody knuckle fiasco for me. Fortunately from there on out it's a lot easier to get the posts off if needed.

I also like to soak the outside of the keg in oxyclean, too, to get all the black crap off the rubber handles and rubber base.

You need a special socket to get a pin lock off. Or, if you have the right size socket, you can cut the slots in with a dremel and make your own.

You can do a lot with just a keg.
I secondary/dry hop in corny kegs - No pressure required
I store good sanitizer (StarSan) in a keg
You can ferment in a keg, if you stay under about 4 gallons, or use a krauzen-killer of some sort
You can naturally carb in a keg, if you can get it to seal with 0 PSI. Most of mine will, because I replace o-rings when they look at me funny, and use keg lube on them to get a good wet seal.
** Oh, remember, you need to re-calculate your priming sugar if you bulk carb! It's somewhere around 1/2 the sugar you would use for bottling!

BTW, buy your o-rings 100 at a time from McMaster. It's less than $2.50 for 100 dip tube rings or 100 post rings, and it's something like $12 for 10 lid rings. My LHBS charges $6 for a $1.25 set of rings...
I keep a Plano box full of o-rings, poppits, posts, and QDs for the occasional leak.

Back