Can I Cover Secondary w/ Screw Cap for Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

italarican

Reaction score
Today I transferred 2 gallons of my 5-gallon saison into 2 1-gallon growlers for some experimental treatments (one dry-hopped, one w/ gin-soaked oak and St. Germain). I didn't realize until right before that I was one airlock and stopper short (I've never had as much beer brewing as I do now!).

I sealed one of the growlers with a screw top for now, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to visit the homebrew store. It got me thinking: can I just slightly loosen the cap maybe every other day until I hear the CO2 release and immediately retighten? Would that still be too much risk to oxygen?

I've made this move myself - you can but just don't tighten it very much. Pressurizing a growler that likely wasn't built thick enough to ferment is likely as dangerous to it as leaving the cap loosely screwed and letting the CO2 escape.

Let me know how it turns out!

You'll probably be fine but if you're not done fermenting it'll continue to build pressure. Growlers can withstand some pressure, carboys are another story. It certainly won't build enough in a day to become a problem.

You'll probably be fine but if you're not done fermenting it'll continue to build pressure. Growlers can withstand some pressure, carboys are another story. It certainly won't build enough in a day to become a problem.

I was at the calculated FG at transfer, but I imagine the Gin & St. Germain treatment will share some sugars for a little more to go on.

Since most of fermentation is done, I'm wary of just using sanitized foil since oxygen is detrimental at this stage.

I've made this move myself - you can but just don't tighten it very much. Pressurizing a growler that likely wasn't built thick enough to ferment is likely as dangerous to it as leaving the cap loosely screwed and letting the CO2 escape.

Will do... thanks!

Have family in punxsy- where do you have to go for a homebrew store?

There are two homebrew stores about 15 minutes away in opposite directions for me. The one closer to Punxsy (maybe 20 minutes) is The Homebrew & Hobby Shop in Clymer. They'll have the basics, but I'd call ahead to place orders for fresh yeast or any hops remotely off the beaten path.

One week later, I finally was able to get a stopper and airlock. When I removed the cap, it appears slightly foamy/frothy, as though activity has indeed gone on in there and not had much opportunity to escape (the other growler w/ an airlock was completely flat. Smells delicious, though.

The time I did this in my fermenter, it still carbed up fine and I had something similar. Any carbonation hiss?

The time I did this in my fermenter, it still carbed up fine and I had something similar. Any carbonation hiss?

For the first 5-6 days, definitely a hiss when I loosened. I can't recall now if yesterday it was just extremely faint or silent.

Latest posts

Back