Can I brew with this water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
My municipal water is no good, so I brew with distilled water. Ordered some di water for my next brew day from my local Wally world. Picked it up and got it home, only to discover that they had substituted my usual water brand for a brand made for baby formula that has stuff added to the distilled water. According to the label it contains magnesium sulfate, potassium bicarbonate, and potassium chloride. I've not looked yet to find the concentrations of these minerals, but am wondering if this stuff is usable for brewing?

TIA

Two facts that you can do with what you will....

- Per Narziss, potassium in brewing water should be kept under 10 ppm, because otherwise it's bad for the mash.
- Analysis of finished beers shows ****tons of potassium (from the malt).

Two facts that you can do with what you will....

- Per Narziss, potassium in brewing water should be kept under 10 ppm, because otherwise it's bad for the mash.
- Analysis of finished beers shows ****tons of potassium (from the malt).
Good to know. Google search did not return any usable data on mineral concentrations, so I'm leaning towards maybe not so much for the brewing. Wah, wah waaaahhh.

Did you taste it? I'd say if it tastes OK, brew with it. At least you don't have to worry about municipal sanitizers already mixed in for you...

It’s important to differentiate between free and bound elemental content. I’m not sure that ionic potassium should be less than 10 ppm, but the source suggests that it’s valid. I’ve never advocated for potassium additions. I would visit the water provider’s website to see if actual concentrations are available.

Back