Can i bottle at 1.020?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I have had my beer fermenting for 3 weeks and was ready to bottle today and the FG is at 1.020 will the beer still beer be ok if i go ahead and bottle it at this gravity ?

i have done this twice. no problem.
i store my bottles in 12 pack containers mostly. never had a bomb (yet?)

how do i warm up the bucket? it has been at 69-72 the whole 3 weeks

I checked the reading a week ago and it was at 1.020 it is not changing i do not think. I was just wondering will it still be drinkable?

It will be excellent.

To be absolutely safe you might want to prime on the low side. ie 4 oz of corn sugar instead of 5 oz.

Without more information, the best I can say is maybe.

What was the OG, the recipe, the yeast strain, etc.?

Often times a recipe predicts a 75% attenuation even though the recipe is not likely to achieve it, due to adjuncts, specialty grains and yeast choice.

If you pitched a good amount of yeast and your temperature was consistent and above 65F, and it has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks then it should be done and safe to bottle. I've had many beers finish higher than 1.020, but I usually have expected it and when it was unexpected, I was able to determine why my expectations were incorrect.

Craig

As long as you've taken 2 readings a few days apart that have been the same-it's likley finished and you can bottle.

As long as you've taken 2 readings a few days apart that have been the same-it's likley finished and you can bottle.

Not really. If your SG readings are significantly high, taste the hydrometer sample. If it's sweet, you've likely got a stalled fermentation, in which case bottling is not a good idea. You may not get bombs, but you may get gushers and/or unbalanced beers.

Try raising the temperature, shake up the fermenter, pitch some new yeast along with yeast nutrients, pitch a more alcohol-tolerant, more highly-attenuating yeast, etc... There are lots of options. If it tastes great and does not respond to raising the temperature and agitation, then it may well be done and ready to bottle after all.

Without more information, the best I can say is maybe.

What was the OG, the recipe, the yeast strain, etc.?

Often times a recipe predicts a 75% attenuation even though the recipe is not likely to achieve it, due to adjuncts, specialty grains and yeast choice.

If you pitched a good amount of yeast and your temperature was consistent and above 65F, and it has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks then it should be done and safe to bottle. I've had many beers finish higher than 1.020, but I usually have expected it and when it was unexpected, I was able to determine why my expectations were incorrect.

Craig

Exactly what I would say (we Steeler fans must think alike)

I wish I would have done this advice when my final gravity was at 1.018 and it was suppose to be at 1.010

Yes sorry for all the limited info i did not take a OG when on this batch. I also did not aerate at all.. So i think that had something to do with my stuck fermentation.. I just tasted the flat beer and it was not half bad.. had a bite to it .. It is an extract Amber Ale kit from muntons . Thanks for all the reply's everyone i bottled them all and have the cases sitting in trash bags just in case! Hopefully it will taste alright in a few weeks .

Back