Can I be done at FG 1.010?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarthingmoor

Reaction score
I'm working on my first batch. It's a wheat beer from a Coopers kit. Probably going to totally ruin it.

Fermenting seems done after 1.5 weeks in secondary plus 3 or 4 days in primary. Last two hydrometer readings about 4 days apart were stuck at 1.010. OG was about 1.040.

Wondering if this sounds about right for a wheat beer? The generic instructions I got with my brewing equipment called for waiting until the FG gets a bit lower, but I don't think it's going to go any lower.

Is it possible that I'm done? No sign of fermentation taking place....any chance I could get bottle bombs at this FG?

Thanks for helping out a newbie (First Post!)

1.010 is fine ... sometimes beers finish a little higher or lower than the recipe says they will, for a lot of reasons .. it sounds like its ready to bottle .. just use the right amount of sugar and don't fear bombs .. they are pretty rare .. good luck :)

Yep it's probably done. I'd give it another week (or more) to clean up before bottling.

I'd leave it sit another week or two before bottling. I don't even touch any of my beers until they are 4 weeks in the primary and I almost never secondary. I am just to lazy.

Being a wheat beer,you want to bottle it when FG is reached,& no off flavors are tasted. Bottle condition 2 weeks,then try one after chilling. They finish rather quickly,& too much time sitting in primary or in bottles sometimes gets them settled to much. Flavors start fading after a few weeks,ime. But they are meant to be drunk young. Just make sure it tastes good before bottling.

Back