Can I age (condition) my Russian Imperial Stout for a second year without ruining it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a high gravity (10.2% ABV) Russian Imperial Stout that I brewed a year ago. It has been kegged for the last 10 months and is conditioning in our cool basement. I made this RIS for my wife and we just learned that she will not be drinking any alcohol for the next 9 months until the stork arrives. I am not a fan of high alcohol beers so I would like to know if it is possible to condition this another 9 months in a sealed keg w/o doing any damage to the beer. Thoughts?

I don't have any advice but congrats! If it's a boy you should name him Vlad as it's a fine Russian name.

I have a high gravity (10.2% ABV) Russian Imperial Stout that I brewed a year ago. It has been kegged for the last 10 months and is conditioning in our cool basement. I made this RIS for my wife and we just learned that she will not be drinking any alcohol for the next 9 months until the stork arrives. I am not a fan of high alcohol beers so I would like to know if it is possible to condition this another 9 months in a sealed keg w/o doing any damage to the beer. Thoughts?

The longer the better. I'd think you could go ahead and bottle it

Congrats on the incoming little one!

Yes you can age this for years if you like.
Stouts get better with age, the bitterness fades a bit but the underlying fruits really come out.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I also discovered that I brewed a regular porter (5.4% ABV) for her. It is still in the primary on week 2. Can that be saved for 9 months or should I just keg it and fill my friends growlers? Having a third kid at 48 makes me wonder if I will ever retire.

A 5.4% porter for 9 months won't be an issue. Again though there will be a loss of some bitterness.
But I wouldn't go 2 years at that ABV.

2 years on a RIS can be good, neutral, or bad depending on the particular beer but it's not going to ruin it for sure. It might have gotten a bit thinner bodied, but also might have smoothed out nicely too. You might find the malts are producing a nice fruity note they wouldn't have been previously. I wouldn't worry about it!

Latest posts

Back