Can i add sugar to sweeten after ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy1858

Reaction score
I did this
4.8lbs pilzen malt
2.0lbs wheat malt
1 oz williamette
1 oz saaz
american ale yeast

mashed at 150-155 60mins
sparged 165-170 to collect 6 gallons total
90 minute boil to about 4 1/2 gallons
after 9 days in fermentor it taste like a Yazoo pale ale.Thats ok but id like a little more sweetness can i add something to sweeten before kegging and carbing?

You'll need to put something unfermentable in it: Splenda, lactose, or (I think?) maltodextrine. If you try to sweeten with fermentable sugar, you'll just get more alcohol and a thinner, drier beer.

Unless, I suppose, you backsweeten, then immediately chill to serving temps. This would, I presume, make the yeast go dormant, and prevent any further fermentation.

ok i was thinking Lactose when i rack to the keg. Thanks for taking the time to answer

bingo. otherwise you will make yeast happy and they will feed and make babies and farts.

if you haven't brewed then i would add it to the boil but after def need to use an unfermentable sweetener or you just get more fermentation.

Thanks everyone it goes to keg on wednsday i have roughly 9 gallons so im thinking 1 lb Lactose??? Too much not enough??

Here's an idea, and maybe someone can advise as well....when I went thru my mead and wine obsession, I made a few batches that just needed a bit of mouthfeel as well as a touch of sweetness,,,so I dosed the kegs with some glycerin...made ALL THE DIFFERENCE!...
I've not used glycerin in beer so I can't tell you what or how it would work, but if you haven't thought of it, read about it...get some, and mix a bit into a commercial beer and see what it does for it,,,,again, I've not done it, and maybe some maltodextrine might do pretty much the same thing...

Back