Sweetening after Pasteurization?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
New guy to the forum here. So I have a question about adding Honey. If I have already pasteurized my brew can I still add honey to sweeten to taste? If so is there any down side?

To explain I've been making 1 gallon batches and recently acquired my fathers 5 gallon jugs and made a batch of my previous recipes but the sweetness just isn't there. I figured I'd leave it alone as it still tasted good. But now wanting to add a little more sweetness. but never came across this situation. So can I add honey after pasteurization. ( Mead is not bottles. . . yet.)

Yes and you shouldn't have to worry about the yeast starting up again.
Cool. I didn't think it would be a problem but best to ask. I'm guessing that goes with fruits too. Say let sit for less than 14 days. I more concerned about separation over time. But as long as i stir in well it shouldn't be a concern. Not that any of this will last that long as it goes quick.

Pasteurization kills the yeast and other microorganisms, so you won't have any activity of any kind after that. It also affects the aromatics, and not necessarily in a good way. Two other options are at your fingertips to back sweeten, like dropping some potassium metabisulfite, or keep feeding it honey until it maxes out and sweetens to your liking.

Back