Can bottled beer be stored at room temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckmug

Reaction score
My first batch of beer is carbonating away at the moment, so i was reading about making sodas. I read in a few places that once pressure built up in the soda bottles you needed to refrigerate them or else the yeast would make too much CO2. Do I need to refrigerate all 60 bottles of beer after a couple weeks to make the yeast go dormant and prevent my bottles from exploding?

Room temp is fine.....as long as your room isn't 80F.

Basements are better, but fridge is not necessary.

My first batch of beer is carbonating away at the moment, so i was reading about making sodas. I read in a few places that once pressure built up in the soda bottles you needed to refrigerate them or else the yeast would make too much CO2. Do I need to refrigerate all 60 bottles of beer after a couple weeks to make the yeast go dormant and prevent my bottles from exploding?

You can store them at room temp. Since fermentation uses up all the sugar you are only fermenting the priming solution in the bottles. If you use the right amount of priming sugar there is no need to worry about bottle bombs.

No, beer should be stored at room temperature. Here's why: when you "prime" the beer, you are taking beer that is completely finished and fermented out (that's why the hydrometer readings are so important!) and adding a small prescribed amount of sugar. That exact amount of sugar is exactly the right amount needed for a mini-fermentation in the bottle to produce co2 and then stop when it's finished. That's how you carbonate your beer. If the beer was finished fermenting before you bottled it, then it's not possible for the beer to ferment further so there is no risk of bottle bombs.

In soda, you add cups of sugar, to make the soda taste sweet. You add yeast to ferment a little of that sugar to carbonate. The yeast don't know that they are supposed to stop when you wish- there are still fermentables in there. Yeast will go until they eat all the fermentable sugars. But you don't want to create alcohol, or bottle bombs. So when the yeast has done its work to carbonate the soda, you stick the bottles in the fridge because the cold temperature causes the yeast to go dormant (or at least slow way down).

No. The yeast will consume what little priming sugar you added at bottling and go dormant. You can store at cellar temps after that.

Latest posts

Back