Can anyone explain crystal malt for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrox1212

Reaction score
So I'm just trying to better understand crystal malt with all of the variations , I.e. Crystal 10-20-40-60-so on. I understand that the higher you go the darker but what about sweetness? Does crystal 60 impart the same amount of sweetness as crystal 10, just with less color? Could you use let's say .25 lb of crystal 40 in my grain bill to achieve what 1 lb of crystal 10 would achieve? These are just examples, I just want more information in general.

Sent from my iPhone

In addition to the above link, which has a nice simple explanation of the colors/flavors imparted by various crystals, what many people like to do particularly in American ambers is use a couple of different kinds of crystal malt.

"Layering" the crystal malt brings a complexity to the grainbill that is really nice. For example, in one American amber, I'd use a pound of 20L and .25 pound of 120L. Or, .75 pound of 40L and .75 pound of 80L. It provides a great depth of flavor, without being too sweet or 'heavy' in the body.

Next time you are in your lhbs, ask if you can taste some of each type. Most places are more than willing to let you try some.

Does crystal 60 impart the same amount of sweetness as crystal 10, just with less color? Could you use let's say .25 lb of crystal 40 in my grain bill to achieve what 1 lb of crystal 10 would achieve?

No, and no as others have said. To me the lower L crystals add more straight sweetness, while you start getting what I would call caramel sweet in the middle range, with the higher L crystals tending toward raisin and toffee flavors, almost with a little bitterness to my taste. A full lb of C-10 vs. 0.25 of C-40 might be similar color but much sweeter. It's a good suggestion to taste them, though they will taste a bit different in the actual beer it gives you an appreciation of the differences.

Cool thanks guys guys for your help. I didn't know that crystal flavor really changed depending on the higher it goes

Sent from my iPhone

Also keep in mind crystal malts from different maltsters have completely different flavor profiles, even if they have the same color.

So this is a stupid question then but do crystal malts have unfermentable components that lend sweetness?
The PPG for Crystal is no different than 2-row so where does the sweet flavor come from?

It's a different type of sweetness with different crystal malts. The lower ones (10°, 20°) are basically just giving you "sweet"; the darker ones (90°,120°) get more into bittersweet territory. You get into those dark-fruit notes.

It's like eating a ripe grape versus a raisin; they're both sweet, they both probably have the same actual sugar content, but you perceive them differently.

Latest posts

Back