Can a Wyeast Smack Pack go un refrigerated for 4 – 5 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

262andbrew

Reaction score
Hey all, I have have not used the Wyeast smack packs before, so I just need a little guidance.

I had a kit and some other ingredients, including a White Labs vile delivered via FedEx on Friday. I got the yeast vile to the fridge right away, but waited until Sunday to open the kit, and discovered the Wyeast PacMan pack inside. I put it in the fridge right away. But I am not sure if that is too long to be out of refrigeration.

So it left MN on 3.24, took a U-turn in KS on the 3.25, and was delivered to my door (NE) the evening of the 26th. Smack pack was re-refrigerated at about noon on the 28th.

What are my odds? I have other strains on hand, but would like to add PacMan to my quiver.

Hey all, I have have not used the Wyeast smack packs before, so I just need a little guidance.

I had a kit and some other ingredients, including a White Labs vile delivered via FedEx on Friday. I got the yeast vile to the fridge right away, but waited until Sunday to open the kit, and discovered the Wyeast PacMan pack inside. I put it in the fridge right away. But I am not sure if that is too long to be out of refrigeration.

So it left MN on 3.24, took a U-turn in KS on the 3.25, and was delivered to my door (NE) the evening of the 26th. Smack pack was re-refrigerated at about noon on the 28th.

What are my odds? I have other strains on hand, but would like to add PacMan to my quiver.

It'll be fine. The fridge will prolong viability, but it won't kill it to be out a few days.

Make a starter.

Back