Yeast Starter Refrigerator Storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasen1148

Reaction score
I have gotten myself, with the help of the Polar Vortex, into a situation where I don't know what to do. I ordered three packs of Wyeast and it was delivered slushy and mostly frozen. I thawed it out in the refrigerator for a day or two and proceeded to make a yeast starter. The three yeast packs all swelled after being smacked.

The yeast starter seems to have done its thing. I was not ready to brew yet (I did the yeast starter to essentially see if the yeast was still viable with plans to refrigerate it until I was ready to brew) so I put it all into my refrigerator.

The yeast starter is in a glass container with the foam stopper I used while the starter was starting, so to speak. I didn't think to cover it with an air tight seal when I put it away in the fridge to store for a few days - until about 5 minutes ago when I decided to write this post. Question: Did I risk contamination by not switching out the foam stopper for an air tight seal when I put it in the refrigerator? Should I dump it and start with new yeast?

Thanks!

Jason

its fine as long as your going to use it in a week or so, otherwise i would step the starter a day or 2 before brew day to get them all awoken and happy again.

You're fine with the foam stopper. It's too dense, for lack of a better word, for any bugs to get down through it into your starter.

Back