Can a Fermwrap be wrapped in a wet towel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannabrew

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with wrapping a wet towel (i.e swamp cooler) around a fermwrap on a carboy?

I just tried this and is working but I'm not sure how safe it is considering the fermwrap is an electric heater.

can't find any IP rating on their website, so I wouldn't risk it myself. check the device/manual for an IP rating, ip44 is bare minimum for any touch contact with water, ip67 would be totally safe.

Yeah I realize it's not a great idea and took some precaution when attempting it for the first time. Like I said it is working now but that doesn't mean it's a good idea!

I will reach out to the company to see what they say. Their instructions say to not submerge but don't mention anything about getting wet.

I have a question? Why are you using a wet towel to cool the wort and putting it over a heating appliance? Why not just remove the Fermwrap unless you need to heat it.

Stay safe and do not plug the Fermwrap in......

I have a question? Why are you using a wet towel to cool the wort and putting it over a heating appliance? Why not just remove the Fermwrap unless you need to heat it.

Stay safe and do not plug the Fermwrap in......

I can't control how much the swamp cooler cools the wort but if I just ensure it cools below my fermentation temp then I can use the fermwrap to keep it at a steady temp.

I suppose another option to protect it further would be to wrap another layer of plastic around it.

I can't control how much the swamp cooler cools the wort but if I just ensure it cools below my fermentation temp then I can use the fermwrap to keep it at a steady temp.

When I used my swamp cooler I was able to keep the temperature 3 degrees +/- of my target just by rotating frozen water bottles So, if I was targeting 64 degrees the highest would be 68 and the lowest was 61. IMO well within range. Usually, it was even closer.

I still have never artificially warmed. I ferment in my basement, finished half so I cool year round. I have 2 fermentation chambers now.

my problem is without swamp it's too warm. with swamp it's too cool.

it's literally holding at exact temp with the way it's currently setup...I just don't want to get electrocuted!

I emailed their support to see what they say.

Back