can a bottling bucket be a cask container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
say i let it brew and before i reach my final gravity i chill then to serve i pop the blow tube off and open up the spigot to pour a beer. upon finishing the pour i put a small scoop of DME back in the bucket and replace blow off tube and leave to warm to room temp 68 degrees say..

would this method work?

i have seen the converted keg video on cask. and was wondering why a bottling bucket wouldn't work for the short term.

what are your thoughts please.

Pressure. Try it and you'll see, or i could just tell you. You'll blow the lid right off your bucket. Pressure is the key to dissolving co2 into your beer. Maybe I am wrong, but have fun. Just did some reading real quick and learned that I have done cask beer without even knowing it. Before I setup my force carb system, I tried using corn sugar boiled in water and sealed up my cornie. It carbonated just fine without the use of a co2 tank. Wow, thats really awesome!!!

hmmm what if i left it open top. i have two 1 gallon beverage dispensers. the ones with the screw on tops with a pop open pour. only these ones have a spigot an inch from the bottom.

my thought is if i let the pressure able to release it should work. say keep the cap on snug but not sealed or just put some foil over it like a starter beaker.

it is glass so you can see the whole process which is nice. i will keep you all posted on this little experiment.

the plan is to do two 1.5 gallon batchs. do one then chill, siphone into the beverage dispenser. add some DME and vent. similar to this

http://www.classichostess.com/cylin...px?gdftrk=gdfV21229_a_7c459_a_7c2555_a_7c4895

other batch will do the same thing but will not chill and just siphone into bev disp. and add DME.

due to size it should not take long to ferment with a WLP vial let alone drink down.

Pressure. Try it and you'll see, or i could just tell you. You'll blow the lid right off your bucket. Pressure is the key to dissolving co2 into your beer. Maybe I am wrong, but have fun. Just did some reading real quick and learned that I have done cask beer without even knowing it. Before I setup my force carb system, I tried using corn sugar boiled in water and sealed up my cornie. It carbonated just fine without the use of a co2 tank. Wow, thats really awesome!!!

This is how I have carbed every keg I have ever made except one. And then I age for 2 -3 months - and I gotta say, I have some pretty smooth ales.

Resurrect an old thread?

How about shop clamps to hold The lid on. Three could keep pressure pretty uniform, yeah? If anyone has any information I would like it. I'm I'm stubborn so I may fibd a way economical or not

Back