Can’t get temp down in Kegarator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itr1197

Reaction score
I have a 8 year old Summit kegerator. Been using it on and off. I can’t get the beer temp below 50 degrees. I’ve always had foamy beer. Recently I decided I need to figure out what’s going on.
-I replaced the thermostat, adjusted the torx screw to lower the temp
-changed out the faucets to Perlick with flow control
-installed a tower cooler

still not going the beer below 50 degrees and getting foamy beer. In the past I would just turn down the CO2 but that not the correct solution.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 6AAE7CE1-FEA5-49A9-AAB2-BE6CC7BCC03D.jpeg
    6AAE7CE1-FEA5-49A9-AAB2-BE6CC7BCC03D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
how much frost? I'm thinking leaky seal? And some small fridges simply aren't powerful enough (BTU rating) to handle ambient temps and large volume cooling. I'd be surprised that a kegerator was not spec'd accordingly however.

if you have a very small leak the refrigerant tends to operate in freezing conditions before it gets hot. Especially with a cap tube design like this (capillary tube used in lieu of an expansion valve). Did the plate frost over before? once you develop some ice it starts to become an insulator making the problem worse over time (think of old timey refrigerators that had to be defrosted). Your photo doesn't show a lot of ice, if any.

First thing I would do is check the high side. If your condenser is filthy you may be cycling OFF on the thermal overload due to high return temperature. If it is fan-cooled make sure that fan is running when the compressor runs, otherwise you may be cycling on overload.

Secondly locate the refrigerant compressor and check if it is running hot. Low gas = low mass = high refrigerant return temperature. These compressors are "Suction Cooled" motor & pump in a sealed tin can... they require cool refrigerant at the intake to keep the electric motor from overheating. Normally the lower line is your discharge from the compressor (goes straight to the fan or radiator style condenser), the upper line is the return or suction. The upper line should be cool to the touch. If it is hot, and you have verified step 1 above, then you likely have low gas/small leak.

Before I adjusted the torx screw on the thermostat. It would develop a very thin layer or frost, like if you touched it your finger would stick. When I adjusted it there is a very noticeable amount of frost on the cold plate and the fan ran longer.
See attached image of the cold plate. In either case the temp of a cup of water placed in side would ever go above 50 degrees.

Attachments

• 319D33C8-5E40-45C5-A6DD-7BA748BFC1E4.jpeg
    319D33C8-5E40-45C5-A6DD-7BA748BFC1E4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
I just went through the same with a 6mo old unit. It is in the garage which routinely gets 90+ degrees in the summer. I reset and cleaned everything and set up a portable fan aimed at the compressor. This solved the problem. I replaced it with a “muffin” fan and have been pouring at 40 degrees for a week or so. Older (Danby) units never had this problem. I wonder if the compressors have been downsized over time. Anyhow $20 is way better than 2k for an”outdoor” unit.

sounds like a leaky seal on the door allowing warm most air in which condenses on the cold plate. check your seals maybe fit a small fan inside to circulate the cold air this will also assist your compressor.

Pardon my ignorance, but what the hell is a "muffin fan"?

View attachment 734012
"The fans in this size originally were small and looked like they were made from muffin tins. (unpainted aluminum rotors and housings look just like aluminum cup cake or muffin tins.) It has become common usage for all small, square fans to be called 'muffin' but each manufacturer uses a different term in referring to fans of this type in different sizes."

Here is an interesting use of a fan in a Kegerator. Many different ways to move the air.

This might help, re muffin fan
AC Infinity AXIAL LS1238, Quiet Muffin Fan, 120V AC 120mm x 38mm Low Speed, UL-Certified for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZRKTBZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just an update for you guys! Bought the above mentioned muffin fan and now we are at 34 degrees. Best of all the IPA is pouring perfectly. Now just need to make sure it doesn’t drop too low. I’m going to turn the thermostat down and hopefully it equalizes the temp at some point.

Thanks for all your help!

Just an update for you guys! Bought the above mentioned muffin fan and now we are at 34 degrees. Best of all the IPA is pouring perfectly. Now just need to make sure it doesn’t drop too low. I’m going to turn the thermostat down and hopefully it equalizes the temp at some point.

Thanks for all your help!
Where did you mount this fan at? I’m having the same problem with my kegerator, temp won’t get below 50 and the temp controller is almost on the coldest setting causing the back plate inside to frost over.

Where did you mount this fan at? I’m having the same problem with my kegerator, temp won’t get below 50 and the temp controller is almost on the coldest setting causing the back plate inside to frost over.
Having a fan at all inside the space will circulate the air and be better than nothing; you really don't need to do anything more than set a fan inside the space to blow the air around.

Back