Campden tablets right before bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwiley

Reaction score
I believe it is advised to do one final application of Campden tablets before bottling. But, you're generally advised to leave the top exposed for 24 hours to dissipate the sulfur. But you don't want to oxygenate the cider at the late final stage right before bottling. So, how do you do this? How do you both expose the cider to dissipate the sulfur but also keep it sealed and quickly get it in the bottles? This seems contradictory to me, or least confusing.

Thanks.

You don't want to dissipate the SO2- you want to add it at bottling and then bottle. I dissolve mine in a little of the cider, and pour that into the bottling bucket and then gently rack the cider into it and bottle.
Campden is an antioxidant and helps to avoid unwanted microbes from taking hold.

You don't want to dissipate the SO2- you want to add it at bottling and then bottle. I dissolve mine in a little of the cider, and pour that into the bottling bucket and then gently rack the cider into it and bottle.
Campden is an antioxidant and helps to avoid unwanted microbes from taking hold.
I assume this only applies to still ciders or kegging?

I assume this only applies to still ciders or kegging?

No, of course not. Campden is an antioxidant, and that is why it's used. If you're carbonating, you shouldn't have an issue but why are you adding it? How clear is the cider? When was the last time it was added? What is the SO2 level now?

If you know why you're adding it fine, but if you're adding it "just because", then maybe think about what the purpose is.

I thought trapping the sulfur leads to a strong sulfur taste and that that was why you leave the must exposed during the twenty four hours after adding Campden tablets.

Well the wine kit I've just done. Said add the Sodium Metabisulphite 1.5g per 25 litres into the clear wine after racking. Leave with solid bung for 2 days then bottle. So that wouldn't let the sulphur out as no headspace in the carboy. They said optional to preserve colour and aroma if aging.
But I've never bothered with cider, normally just wash apples, pulp them juice them and into carboy with airlock for about 6 months then keg or bottle.

Back