Campden didn’t dissolve completely- layer of tiny bubbles on surface

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinmarxx

Reaction score
Hi all,

So on Monday 11/13 I crushed and added 5 Campden tablets to my 5 gallon batch of cider. What I failed to do previously was first dissolve the Campden in warmer water and instead added it directly to a cool cider. Disputes a good stir, the Campden didn’t completely dissolve and now there is a layer of tiny tiny bubbles on the surface along with residual pieces of Campden on the periphery and surface. The cider is nearly ready to bottle but idk if I should with this bubble layer/residual Campden in the cider.

What do you think could be going on?
Am I okay to bottle tomorrow?

Thanks!

Can you skim the top with a strainer or cheesecloth? Campden pieces will taste awful.
Perhaps I can tie some cheesecloth around the bottling end of my siphoning tube so that it filters out as the cider fills the bottle?

If you can't skim, could you cold crash to try and get that to flocculate?
Myndflyte, That was my original plan. I can’t cold crash the entire 6 gal carboy and I’m bottling into 1 gallon jugs/carboys anyways. So I was gonna bottle, cold crash then re-rack into other gallon jugs.

Can you skim the top with a strainer or cheesecloth? Campden pieces will taste awful.
Do you think I can just tie a piece of cheese cloth around the bottling end of my siphoning tube so that the cider filters as it fills?

Do you think I can just tie a piece of cheese cloth around the bottling end of my siphoning tube so that the cider filters as it fills?

I bet that would work fine but I'm also betting that if you siphon from under it, it's just going to stay at the top and you'll just have to stop it before it starts getting siphoned off.

Run it through a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth into your bottling bucket and it should remove it all.
I don’t have a bottling bucket so I was just gonna siphon directly into bottles. Maybe I can filter it into the fermenter bucket and then siphon from there?

I don’t have a bottling bucket so I was just gonna siphon directly into bottles. Maybe I can filter it into the fermenter bucket and then siphon from there?

That will work too. I do suggest that if you decide to continue to bottle, to buy yourself a bottling bucket. It will make your life easier.

The amount of surface area of a siphon inlet is pretty small, any filter will likely clog quickly. I would line a sanitized stainless kitchen strainer with cheesecloth and try to skim that shmutz off the top. Or, attach a tea bag to the end of the siphon hose. And as suggested, siphoning from underneath the floaties is a good idea.

So, I bottled last night.

I ended up tying some cheese cloth around the bottling end of the siphon tube and it worked wonderfully. The cheese cloth caught mostly all of the floaties and the cider looks great. Now it’s cold crashing for some time to help clear any remaining yeast sediment out. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Pics below

Latest posts

Back