Camembert, yeast smell also!!!! HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonemarrow

Reaction score
I just opened the container and I also have a yeast smell on the Camembert I made last Sunday. The white mold is growing a little but the yeast smell is there. HELP

I just opened the container and I also have a yeast smell on the Camembert I made last Sunday. The white mold is growing a little but the yeast smell is there. HELP

Hmmm, yeast smell? Cheese should smell cheesy. Camemberts don't have much smell at all until you cut them. You might get a faint ammonia smell when cut, especially if it's really ripe and creamy. If the ammonia smell is strong, indicating it's past its prime, you can still eat it but let it sit for a few minutes after cutting - some of the ammonia will dissipate.

I wouldn't worry about it if it looks OK. Like beer, if you give the cheese the right environment it will take care of itself.

I took it out of the container. Humidity is lower but it is obviously doing ok. White mold is spreading, yeast smell is gone.

In my experience, you should get the Cam into a normal fridge as soon as it is covered with white PC mold. If I left it at fermentation temps much longer, I eventually ended up with runny cheese, and a bit of slipskin. Slipskin is where the skin is completely separate from the internal cheese.

Latest posts

Back