Camembert, in the cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my boys called and wanted to make cheese. He came home this past wkend and we made a few Camembert. He's preparing for interviews for medical residency and wanted some further experience in cheesemaking for talking points (he's helped me before, but didn't really pay attention to the science).

Camembert is a soft cheese. In fact, it's somewhat runny in the middle, mostly due to the the fungus (Penicillium camemberti) that's added (among others). The curds are not stirred or heated after cutting. In fact, we did not cut them at all... just scooped them right out of the pot and put them in the molds. This results in a VERY loose curd mass. Care must be taken when handling them. But this is how soft cheese like this is created.

I'll get finished pics up here when it's ready for gobbling. There's 2 weeks of firming up the skin, then 2 weeks high-humidity where we wait for white mold growth on the skin. As soon as that outer mold starts, it goes in the regular (33F) fridge (waiting too long ends up with a wet mess, I've learned :) ).

1657076436183.png

1657077662661.png

Cams are in plastic containers now to maximize the humidity. There's a couple of mm of white fuzz on them, but they are not soft yet. I'll wrap them next week and put in the fridge.

In top pic, you can see my humidifier cranking. I've turn it off now, as the humidity stays high when they are inside the plastic containers.

1658095690357.png

1658095635954.png

These cams seemed to have developed properly, but they feel a little hard when I give them a press.

Anyway, I'm wrapping them in paper and putting them into the fridge for another week or two. Then we'll cut into them and see what we ended up with.

(btw, I'm aware I'm probably talking to myself here in the moribund cheese forum of HBT, but I'm ok with that haha)
1658615294222.png

No. I brew on my back patio, outdoors. Cheese, in the kitchen. Why do you ask?

I have moved to West Texas… hopefully soon I’ll be getting a brew shed/kitchen/shop. I was curious if any of the mold/spores caused any negative interactions with the beer.
Thanks

Haven't seen any interaction. But that is an interesting question.
Or... any interesting experiment? Camembert Kolsch? (Looking for clever marketing here, not good beer).

What is the sous vide for?
I clicked here for the heck of it, and maybe may need spend more time in the cheese section (although i am lactose intolerant)

Or... any interesting experiment? Camembert Kolsch? (Looking for clever marketing here, not good beer).

What is the sous vide for?
I clicked here for the heck of it, and maybe may need spend more time in the cheese section (although i am lactose intolerant)

Sous vide is to gently and accurately heat the milk. Camembert is an easy cheese to make, but some of them require several temperature steps curd cutting and washing, etc. Many people use a double boiler or something similar.

If one was careful, they could heat it directly in a pan on the stove.

Ok, I have no choice but to make some camembert now.

I make it look pretty hard with all my gadgets above, but as long as you have the right ingredients / cultures, you'll be fine just putting the cheese in a plastic bin (to maintain humidity) and keeping it cool.

The KEY with cams is go get them wrapped/taped in wax paper and into your kitchen fridge before they get too soft. The inside can melt and get gooey quickly after the fur grows on the outside.

I make it look pretty hard with all my gadgets above, but as long as you have the right ingredients / cultures, you'll be fine just putting the cheese in a plastic bin (to maintain humidity) and keeping it cool.

The KEY with cams is go get them wrapped/taped in wax paper and into your kitchen fridge before they get too soft. The inside can melt and get gooey quickly after the fur grows on the outside.
This has been my main fear of making cam, I've seen so many pictures and read so many horror stories of the inside just turning to goop. Is there a specific timeline for maturation or do you check it daily?

This has been my main fear of making cam, I've seen so many pictures and read so many horror stories of the inside just turning to goop. Is there a specific timeline for maturation or do you check it daily?
It's best to follow a recipe. The instructions in the two books I have are not identical, but the timing of when to move them to cooler temperatures are similar. Both recommend doing so when there is ample mold on the cheese (~ 1-2mm thick). The cheese should still be stiff to the touch at that point. A couple of weeks in the fridge and the center will soften - you'll feel it!

Wait too long, and it can be a mess, and also there is a stench of ammonia. That ammonia smell disappates quickly after cutting it, and I don't find it too off-putting. I've had this problem!

Here's a pic of a camembert I made previously - it came out great - maybe a little soft.

1658862568618.png

Read through the recipe in "Artisan Home Cheese Making" and it says to leave in refrigeration the entire time, it also does have instructions for cutting the curds, but not the typical cut, heat and stir as with most cheese.

I did not grow up eating this cheese so I really don't know how it's typically consumed. I've found it's better when it's fresh, and I usually cut it up and let it sit on the counter while I cut up an apple or pear to eat with it. It goes good with homemade bread as well.

I'm also surprised at how few brewers seem to be making cheese. I wish I hadn't of waited so many years to start. I think this section of the forum needs some more posts, I might do a write up next time I make some.

Thanks! Sounds like I could take the feeling of "le rustike" fresh from the supermarket shelf as a good example for when to wrap and cool it.

Now I just have to find the right cultures in Germany, shouldn't be too hard though.

Latest posts

Back