Came To A Dead Stop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keyman

Reaction score
Need some suggestions or maybe it's a loss. Nine day's ago I transferred a batch of beer to the fermenter for a lager. I put it in my cooler at 53°. The first 2 to 4 days it was working real good. Then my cooler started to freeze up and I had to move the beer down in the basement at 69°. I let the cooler thaw out for a few days then moved the beer back to the cooler at 53°. It stopped working and the gravity is only 1.030. That was about 3 days now and it is still not working. Do I need to put in another vial of yeast? Do I need to make a starter for it or directly apply the yeast? The temperature is at 53° and I need the yeast at that to add. Do I have a loss here or can it be salvaged?

Thanks

Huge temp swings most likely flocced the yeast.
If rousing the yeast dosent work then i would spin up a starter since lagers need close to double the amount of ale pitching rates.

Also you will need to find a way to keep the beer at lager temps or youll end up with a...iowa common? or kolsch lol.

Sorry dont have much experience with lagers maybe someone else can chme in here.

Back