calling Cincinnati

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierhunter

Reaction score
So I will be in Cincinnati for a work training session in a couple of weeks, being from Canada I don't get to taste a lot of the craft beers that I hear about on this forum. Can someone give me some suggestions for something I can get at a bar down there that might be tasty? I like a wide range of beers and am always open to trying something new.

What part of town?

I recommend Gordo's in Norwood for a great beer selection and awesome burgers

Flipdaddy's in Mariemont for the same reasons

Rock bottom brewery downtown on fountain square where they brew all their beer on site

Dinglehaus in west Chester for beers n food

If you want carry out you can hit up root cellar in kenwood or jungle Jim's in Fairfield

There are many more options depending on your preferences

I'll be in the south side, actually I'm going to Florence but will take a trip to Cincy seeing as its the big city.

If you can find Rivertown, they are in Northern Cincinnati. I really like the Dunkel. Mt. Carmel makes a few tasty brews too.

JWP

Stores:
1) The Party Source- probably the best beer selection I have seen. Good selection of singles too.
2) Hyde Park Wine & Spirits- Have a wide selection and seem to have better selection of Founder's, Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, Bell's, and Stone than most places. You can mix and match your 6 packs
3) Jungle Jim's- Probably a little to far from Florence

Restaurants/Bars
1) Nicholson's (Downtown)- Mostly European beers, but they do have a good rotating tap. Excellent food as well
2) AliveOne (Mt. Adams/Downtown)- Definitely a party spot on the weekends, but have a very surprising selection of quality beer, both bottle and draft
3) Beer Sellar (Newport)- Stop here when you go to The Party Source; they are a minute apart. Not the cleanest place or good food, but they have almost 200 types of beer and about 70 of them are on tap

+1 on Hofbrauhaus and Party Source. You can hit them both on the same trip to Newport. There's also a chain bar called Brother's on the Newport Levee that has some good small-brewery beer ( Great Lakes, Magic Hat, etc). Happy Hour every drink is 1/2 price.

A few more suggestions:
- Adriaticos in Clifton (by the University of Cincinnati) also just opened a new pizza/sports bar type of place with 40 beers on tap.
- the Comet in Northside also has a great beer selection.
- Taste of Belgium is a good bistro in Over the Rhine that also has a good belgian beer selection

Actually not knowing Cincinnati very well it sounds like the Northside is where its at. Where is the university located? I have to sit down tonight and try to figure out where a lot of these places are but is the Southside not very happening over there?

i lived in northside for awhile
if you get a chance, go to the comet. GET THEIR BURRITO! do it.. you wont regret it.
they have a large cooler with beer in it as well, never disappointed me.

another cool spot is MAYDAY. Small cooler with bottles, great smaller tap selection. the bar has some great ambiance as well.

Here is a link to a breakdown of the neighborhoods in town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cincinnati_neighborhoods

The university is located just north of downtown in clifton. Northside is a great part of town and northwest of Clifton.

there really isn't an area of town we call the southside. Downtown is right on the ohio river and Newport, Covington are just across the river on the Kentucky side. The business district area bars generally tend to by more expensive and not always more happening that other spots in town.

also, here is a pic of the wall of taps at Adriatico's

425087_10100366090618475_21423597_46006088_1114565146_n.jpg

Since you're staying in Florence you may want to check out Party Town. It's a store similar to Party Source but they have an 18-tap growler station (http://www.partytownky.com/?page_id=74) and lots of bottles. Ask about the beer in the back room cooler if you want something limited or rare.

^Agreed, PartyTown is awesome and the growler stations is sweet.

Check out Over The Rhine too. The Lackman has some tasty beers, there's a great hotdog place (Senate) and an amazing belgian waffle place. Trust me on the waffles. Lots of really cool bars too.

Its a shame you're not here this week with Beer Week and the huge winter beerfest happening this weekend.

So sorry to hear you have to suffer in cincinnati. I lived in NKY for 3.5 year. Worst years of my life.

What about Rock Bottom in Cincinnati? In checking the internet they have a pretty good beer selection. Has anyone been there?

Yes you did, sorry I missed that Remman.

Well I thank everyone again, I'm really looking forward to my trip. Up here if we get 6 bmc beers on tap it's considered a good bar. I'll be in heaven with all those different beers to try!

I am happy to offer anyone here a promo code that gets you two free tickets to a Friday or Sunday Cincinnati Symphony concert until the end of April.

If you are interested, PM me.

Latest posts

Back