Calling All Metal Fans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the other record I bought yesterday. Trap Them - BlissF*cker - and it is a beast. Again, like the Goatwhore, they haven't changed their sound much – still Powerviolence/grind, hardcore punk mixed with HM2 guitar tone (think Swedish Death metal esp Entombed), but it is pure and unadulterated aggression. A lot of metal heads are calling this Entomb-core and ****ting all over it. I for one, am NOT. Hell of a record. I have included the link to stream the whole album and a little taste of what you’re gonna get from it. enjoy (FTW!)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLtrICHGyxx9X0SIrgyNJXpdGSXDnEMpt

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this thread on here, and after going through a few random pages, was reminded of some of the old Metal that I love.
I guess I'm a bit old-school (or maybe just old?) but I don't really understand the appeal of some of these newer bands that are all unintelligible screaming and mushed-sounding guitars?
I am not trying to cut down talent for these musicians, or those who like them, I just don't understand the appeal of what seems, to me, a loud garble of noise... instead of heavy guitars/basses beside killer lead riffs/solo's and lyrics you can actually understand(at least most of the time).

I don't want to get into a post war or anything; I really love metal in a lot of its' variations, and welcome honest discussion, but if I am just going to start us on a wizzing or flaming match, let me know, and we can just stop it now.

I just found this thread on here, and after going through a few random pages, was reminded of some of the old Metal that I love.
I guess I'm a bit old-school (or maybe just old?) but I don't really understand the appeal of some of these newer bands that are all unintelligible screaming and mushed-sounding guitars?
I am not trying to cut down talent for these musicians, or those who like them, I just don't understand the appeal of what seems, to me, a loud garble of noise... instead of heavy guitars/basses beside killer lead riffs/solo's and lyrics you can actually understand(at least most of the time).

I don't want to get into a post war or anything; I really love metal in a lot of its' variations, and welcome honest discussion, but if I am just going to start us on a wizzing or flaming match, let me know, and we can just stop it now.

Everyone has different tastes. I don't understand the appeal of country music, pop or hip-hop but plenty of other people seem to. Sounds like you need to stick with traditional and power metal, maybe some thrash. Black metal is certainly not for everyone but I will say that if you can get past your aversion to harsh vocals you will find some very interesting and beautiful music in the genre. Here is one example if you're interested...

Everyone has a different taste so rock on! It took me a while back in the early 90s to get used to black and death metal but it has become my favorite genre since. Although admittedly I was the biggest Megadeth fan up to (and including) Youthanasia.

Just picked up the new Priest album yesterday, I love that these old bands are coming back better than ever

Just picked up the new Priest album yesterday, I love that these old bands are coming back better than ever

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was a bit too quick to pass judgement on this one after hearing the first single they released. After hearing the full album I must admit that it's really not bad, not that great either when compared to a record like Painkiller but definitely some of the best material they've released in a very long time as a whole.

You should check out the new Overkill record too. :mug:

Yes! Over Kill!!!!!! I love them live. I got to see them at a 3 day metal fest with Gwar, Deicide,Manowar and many others. Actually got to meet Manowar!

Keg #1 - Brewers Best Summer Ale
Keg #2 - Empty
Primary #1- Brewers Best American Cream Ale
Primary #2- Brewers Best Kolsh
Yeah I do kits!

I agree with what Headbanger and Funny Creature said, not every genre of music is going to be for everyone. I mean, I listen to certain genres of metal that not even my metal friends can get into (grindcore specifically). What are some of the older bands that you like? We might be able to turn you on to some modern bands playing the style that you like (esp Headbanger, as he posts tracks from all kinds of different genres). And believe me, as a fan of extreme music, i hear what you said above ALL THE TIME! Different strokes for different folks.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I was a bit too quick to pass judgement on this one after hearing the first single they released. After hearing the full album I must admit that it's really not bad, not that great either when compared to a record like Painkiller but definitely some of the best material they've released in a very long time as a whole.

You should check out the new Overkill record too. :mug:

Yea, I have to admit I'm not picky when it comes to Priest (or just metal in general) the only one I absolutely can't listen to is Turbo, I think we all know that's a pile of chit record. I personally think this one easily rivals Painkiller

I agree with what Headbanger and Funny Creature said, not every genre of music is going to be for everyone. I mean, I listen to certain genres of metal that not even my metal friends can get into (grindcore specifically). What are some of the older bands that you like? We might be able to turn you on to some modern bands playing the style that you like (esp Headbanger, as he posts tracks from all kinds of different genres). And believe me, as a fan of extreme music, i hear what you said above ALL THE TIME! Different strokes for different folks.

I have enjoyed a pretty wide range of metal/rock music... having been a teenager during the 80's and early 90's, I really got into the early Metallica and Megadeth, Ozzy, also liked Mercyful Fate, Danzig, Dangerous Toys, Iron Maiden, etc.

I pretty much liked most anything from that era/style from the 'hair' bands to some of the thrash stuff. I know that cuts a pretty wide path and doesn't really help pin down a 'favorite' style for me, but it really comes down to whether I like a certain album/song when I hear it. There are some bands that I really like a certain album or two, and can hardly listen to other albums; Def Leppard is a good example, I went to their '83 Pyromania tour show as the first live concert I ever attended and really got into them at that point... but I can hardly listen to some of their later stuff.
I also love Black Sabbath's Cross Purposes album, but haven't cared much for any of the other later material

Hey check this out.
I dunno if it will just make you laugh or if you'll think it is interesting. I just saw it and checked it out on a whim.

Nice picks, Headbanger.
I think I would rate the Skull Fist a little better than the Enforcer.

Looking back through the early pages of the thread I ran across the Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare clip... I am going to have to check them out

Hey Mike, if you are looking for a couple bands doing traditional metal right, check out Slough Feg and High Spirits. Slough Feg is a little proggy, but still very good traditional heavy metal. As for High Spirits, well, Chris Black understands traditional metal probably better than anyone playing modern metal. Both albums are at the top of my list for record of the year. It is not all yelling and chainsaw guitars (even though I love that as well). Check it out!

Full album stream: http://highspiritsmetal.bandcamp.com/album/you-are-here

Couple good Canadian bands, not sure if they have been mentioned.

Protest the Hero. These guys are unreal musicians!

The Holly Springs Disaster. The lyrics to this song/whole album are pretty hilarious.

Back