Calling all math wizards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatuna

Reaction score
Can you help me with the following? I have my gravity into fermenter, but am missing my pre-boil gravity:

5 gallons gravity = 1.044
6.25 gallons pre-boil gravity = ??

Thanks for your help and let me know if more data is required :mug:

No math required.

According to Beersmith it's 1.035

Pretty easy to figure out since you're boiling off pure water which is 1.000.

44*5=220
220/6.25=35.2
1.0352 or 1.035

Another way to state BarleyWater's solution... same thing really:

5 gal / 6.25 gal = 0.8

0.8 * 44 = 35.2

... 1.0352

The above answers should all be true if you transferred everything from the kettle into the fermenter.
If you left 1 quart in the kettle when transferring to the fermenter, then you would have ended the boil with 5.25g, and the re-boil gravity would be 1 + (0.044 * 5.25 / 6.25) = 1.037

-a.

This site rocks. So many so willing to help.:rockin:

Ask the same math question on any other forum and see how many people jump up with an answer.... it's just that this place is loaded with a bunch of engineers and other technically minded folks. ....errrr, beer nerds. :mug:

you could just use your recipe and figure out the pre-boil gravity from that. can't be that hard.

There are a lot of variables when all grain brewing which contribute to pre-boil gravity which is called efficiency. So, gathering pre-boil gravity from my recipe is not possible. Unless of course my efficiency to kettle was so repeatable and predictable that I could just figure it out.. I'm not there yet, nor do I think I'll ever get to that point :drunk:

Back