Call me paranoid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturo7

Reaction score
I'm looking at putting a keg set up on my garage fridge. Is there an easy way to prevent certain people (read that teenagers) from drinking all my homebrew when I'm not around?

I just had a great and simple idea for locking a few taps at once. Mount 2 long U bolts on both ends of your row of taps. The u bolts will need to stick out further than your taps in the closed position.

Then take a long rod with a hole on 1 end to put a pad lock in and something large on the other end (a big washer or something) to keep it from being pulled through the u bolt.

When you want to lock the taps, you slide the rod through the u bolts and put the lock on the end. You would need to have it set up properly so that with the rod in place the taps can not be pulled forward.

I hope that makes sense. It doesn't stop someone from opening the fridge and hooking up a picnic tap or something but it will lock the taps closed.

I just had a great and simple idea for locking a few taps at once. Mount 2 long U bolts on both ends of your row of taps. The u bolts will need to stick out further than your taps in the closed position.

Then take a long rod with a hole on 1 end to put a pad lock in and something large on the other end (a big washer or something) to keep it from being pulled through the u bolt.

When you want to lock the taps, you slide the rod through the u bolts and put the lock on the end. You would need to have it set up properly so that with the rod in place the taps can not be pulled forward.

I hope that makes sense. It doesn't stop someone from opening the fridge and hooking up a picnic tap or something but it will lock the taps closed.

The only problem I see with this is if it's just the simple tap handles, unscrew the handle and just pour without it. (use channel locks and something to pad the threads)

I'm looking at putting a keg set up on my garage fridge. Is there an easy way to prevent certain people (read that teenagers) from drinking all my homebrew when I'm not around?

Keep the tap on the inside & padlock the door.

Or, fill the kegs w/something so horrid that they'll never do it again ;)

Kill the first one you catch, and let the word spread to the others naturally.

Just kidding! I would go with locking the fridge and taps.

I'm not too worried about my kids getting into my taps, but since our garage is also a game room, I have thought about the possibility of them getting bumped open etc... Cheapest solution would probably be a shut-off valve in the beer line for each keg and a padlock.

Thanks everyone. I like the shut-off valve and padlock idea. Seems simple enough to pull off.

I don't mind someone sneaking a beer or two out of a keg. I was certainly guilty of this once upon a time. I just don't want the bastiges to drain it!

Thanks everyone. I like the shut-off valve and padlock idea. Seems simple enough to pull off.

I don't mind someone sneaking a beer or two out of a keg. I was certainly guilty of this once upon a time. I just don't want the bastiges to drain it!

If these are your kids - what's your plan for teaching them to drink responsibly? I'm honestly interested, because I have a much younger child, and hope that she's able to be responsible when she's old enough.

I would just tell them that. And add the "if you get drunk or abuse it it's over" speech.
That is if your kids are responsible/trustworthy.

Oh, really? Then the solution is quite easy: 911.

seriously, who is getting into your house/garage when you're not around? Maybe you keep your beer fridge outside?

Personally, I wouldn't keep my beer where anyone could get at it, I'd either put the beer fridge indoors, or bottle, if I couldn't trust my neighbors.

Locking a fridge/valve will just result in a lot of broken locks and frusteration for you.

You guys are reading waaaaaaaaay to much into a simple question.

No one has been quaffing without permission. My kegging system is still in the concept stage. Just trying to look ahead.

I'd put a lockable cover over the taps with padlock on it. You can unlock, and lift out of the way. I've also thought about an electric in-line solenoid to control the flow through the hose. Works off a key switch.

Seriously, if I had kids able to walk into a "rec room" and get beer any time, I'd be afraid of someone haiving me arrested for contributing to minors. Their parents might freak out when the word gets around. And my kids don't drink and as far as I know, neither do their friends, but in today's society things get blown out of proportion very easily. Just having it there, and not "permitting" them might be enough to get the police involved. (although I am not sure why this is any different than keeping beer in the fridge...)

Back