Calculating percent yield from SG for Brewfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am trying to add apple cider as a fermentable in Brewfather and was told to calculate the percent yield to add it. How do I convert a known SG to percent yield. For example, the cider I get averages 1.053

Not quite sure I understand your question, but if the question is about fermentability then you can assume that apple juice is 100% fermentable, so if you start with 1.053 juice and it goes to 1.000 then you're looking at ~7% ABV. But I think you're asking about fermentability rather than final alcohol?

So in Brewfather in ingredients, you can enter SG or Percent Yield. However, the SG only only goes up to 1.046. I contacted Brewfather and they said to “Enter the sugar content in yield, do not use the Potential." So I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the sugar content of cider based on SG

Attachments

• C108B9AC-FAAC-4B9E-8D46-18852B35DC42.png
    C108B9AC-FAAC-4B9E-8D46-18852B35DC42.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 11
  • F1BA8BA4-C607-4835-BD3E-1A27CC3B5B9A.png
    F1BA8BA4-C607-4835-BD3E-1A27CC3B5B9A.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 11
So in Brewfather in ingredients, you can enter SG or Percent Yield. However, the SG only only goes up to 1.046. I contacted Brewfather and they said to “Enter the sugar content in yield, do not use the Potential." So I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the sugar content of cider based on SG

Maybe ask them how to do that?

We're talking a certain ingredient's contribution to SG in reference to sucrose, no?

1lb of sucrose in 1gal of solution gives 1.046 (100%). 1.053 would be a yield of 115%. Will it accept a yield above 100%?

Is there an option for liquid ingredients? Like sugar syrup? Looks like you are adding it as a grain, which doesn't seem right. This isn't going to be in the mash, so you'd want it to account for volume.

@marc1 and @DBhomebrew I can't go above 100% yield and I can enter liquids, but for reference, LME fermentables in Brewfather are around 1.036 to 38. In theory, I could say 1.15 lb sucrose (per gallon) as a fermentable and then add in the water as total water volume. I was just hoping to avoid that and enter it in a way that would account for both

Hmm. My software of choice handles this (juice, fruit, etc) on a separate page of its spreadsheet.

Also, depending on your volume ratios, it could be easy math. I made a 1:1 graf where the wort portion was 1.070 and the cider was ~1.050. In the fermenter I knew I had roughly 1.060.

@marc1 and @DBhomebrew I can't go above 100% yield and I can enter liquids, but for reference, LME fermentables in Brewfather are around 1.036 to 38. In theory, I could say 1.15 lb sucrose (per gallon) as a fermentable and then add in the water as total water volume. I was just hoping to avoid that and enter it in a way that would account for both

That sounds like LME is still being entered in pounds, not volumes.

Correct. LME is entered as weight not volume. I do not think it is possible to change it

How much yield is 1 pound of cider giving you in your brew? Enter that.

1 gallon = 3.79L
3.79L * 1.053 * 1000 = 3.99kg
3.99kg = 8.78lbs / gallon

Adding 1 lb to a gallon of total volume of your brew = 53/8.78 = 6.0
so each pound adds ~ 1.006 to your brew

I'm not confident that the software will account for the proper volumes, but there you are.

Is my math right?

Back