Calculating cu inch at PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
STP (as I learned in freshman chemistry) is 0°C and 1 atm - looks pretty metric to me. Never heard of 15°C as a standard temp. It's critical in the definition of a volume of CO2.
15°C at 1 atm is ICAO's ISA standard model of the atmosphere. As a fellow pilot I assume you'll be familiar with it. ;)

Perfecto! :D
I'm running 6 feet at the pressure related above...
[edit] Wait - I already said that :)

fwiw, @Bobby_M did some empirical testing and ended up at 5.5 foot lengths in his EVAbarrier kits...

Cheers!

Does anyone make 4mm suitable barbs, or are EVAbarrier fittings and tubing the only way to go here?

Does anyone make 4mm suitable barbs, or are EVAbarrier fittings and tubing the only way to go here?

AFAIK, 4mm isn't very standard/common. I use 3/16" ID tubing, with 1/4" barb swivel nut connectors...
https://www.morebeer.com/products/flare-fitting-set-14-nut-barb.html I heat the end of the tubing in hot water to soften it slightly, then push the barb in. It makes a great interference fit that won't come loose. It's easiest to do this if you have the swivel nut connector already attached to a flare type QD...
https://www.morebeer.com/products/ball-lock-beverage-flare.html
With this arrangement, there's no need for any type of clamp to hold the tubing on the barb, and you can change out terminated lines without having to cut already installed tubing or remove clamps.

With 3/16", you would need a longer line length than with 4mm (assuming similar "roughness"), but standard tubing isn't expensive.

You can stretch the 4mm over a 1/4" barb with the judicious use of heat, did so myself on a 6-way barbed manifold I wasn't about to replace for an MFL style just to replace the gas tubing. That said, the PTC fittings are a joy to use vs swivel nuts...

Cheers!

You can stretch the 4mm over a 1/4" barb with the judicious use of heat, did so myself on a 6-way barbed manifold I wasn't about to replace for an MFL style just to replace the gas tubing. That said, the PTC fittings are a joy to use vs swivel nuts...

Cheers!

Did you apply hose clamps?

15°C at 1 atm is ICAO's ISA standard model of the atmosphere. As a fellow pilot I assume you'll be familiar with it. ;)
The ISA "Standard Atmosphere" is a whole different animal than "STP" for chemistry/physics. Also, the standard atmosphere defines pressure and temp as a function of altitude. Something very important for aerodynamic performance.

Brew on :mug:

How many grams of CO2 are in a 5 gallon Keg of beer plus its headspace when at equilibrium at 2.4 volumes and at 36 degrees F?

What would be the carbonation level if one tossed the requisite grams of dry ice as calculated for the condition seen above (minus the grams already in solution from fermentation) into a keg that had 5 gallons of beer in it, and sealed up the keg and then waited 2-3 weeks? Lets say the keg is stored at 36 degrees F.
CO2 has a density of 1.977 g/L at 0°C (32°F) and 1 atm pressure. So, one volume of carbonation is 1.977 g/L of beer. Note that CO2 is not quite an ideal gas, and has a density a bit higher than what you would calculate from the ideal gas law (1.965 g/L.)

Brew on :mug:

Did you apply hose clamps?

Yes, I did. I now have a crapton of unused band clamps after switching literally every other gas and liquid connection to PTC fittings and just couldn't bring myself not to use them for that manifold and chance an issue down the road.

Anyway, after heating the ends up to go over the barbs I put ~1" long pieces of heat shrink tubing over the same ends and shrunk them tight before applying the clamps. That's one that you "probably don't need" but it keeps the worm clamp from digging into the line...

1591646085373.png

Cheers!

The Duotight fittings for EVAbarrier tubing make stretching over barbs a useless endeavor. You can hook up 5 kegs including liquid and gas runs in about 20 minutes without screwing around with heat, clamps, flare gaskets, etc.

Duotight fittings do not seem to be currently available, and there is no guarantee that they will either become or remain available going forward. An alternative is currrently shipping, but it has only single 'O- Rings' (whereby double 'O -rings' put the 'Duo' in Doutight), and is thereby suspect of being at least potentially of lesser quality thereby.

John Guest has a lot of experience in ptc fittings. And there's also DMfit single o-ring fittings that seem well made to me. Both are readily available today.

I wouldn't be so quick to embrace the dual ring design anyway...

Cheers!

Duotight fittings do not seem to be currently available, and there is no guarantee that they will either become or remain available going forward. An alternative is currrently shipping, but it has only single 'O- Rings' (whereby double 'O -rings' put the 'Duo' in Doutight), and is thereby suspect of being at least potentially of lesser quality thereby.

I don't know where you are shopping but I think you've been given bad information. I have them in stock and the vendor I buy them from has plenty. Daytripper is right though, if in the future DUO was unavailable, John Guest and DMfit have been doing pushfit for a very long time. Don't talk yourself into an inferior setup for invalid reasons.

Back