Calculating cu inch at PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeviaanah

Reaction score
How would one calculate a vessels volume in cu ft when it is under pressure?

Albeit not fully quite true, water is generally considered to be uncompressible (or) incompressible, depending upon your preferred semantics.

Yeah ... going to need clarification on your question. A vessels volume is fixed. It's the same volume under pressure as it is when no pressure.

Are you asking how much gas a vessel can contain? That is a function of the size of the vessel and how much pressure it can hold.

Yes a gas question. Trying to solve for the QTY of 5gal kegs I can purge with a 50lb co2 cylinder to a set PSI. Obviously if this keg was purged to 1psi it'll take less gas then when purged to 15psi. The volume at ambient pressure is an easy calculation for me, I'm gearing my question towards volume consumed after pressurized. Perhaps I'm using the wrong unit here.

Let's assume keg is full of water, a direct replacement from water to gas. Not worried about small losses due to temp etc. Just an estimate here plus minus 5-10 percent

What pressure do you want your kegs to be after the purge?

Well there's the volume at STP - which would be essentially the fluid volume.
From there - as the pressure rises - I'm lost how to quantify "volume" ;)
This is an @doug293cz question for sure...

Cheers!

The ideal gas law states: PV = nRT. P is pressure (absolute, not gauge), V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is a constant that depends on the units being used, and T is absolute temperature.

So at constant temperature P1 * V1 = P2 * V2. Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so at 14.7 psi gauge (29.4 psi absolute) a keg holds the equivalent of 2 kegs at atmospheric pressure. At 29.4 psi gauge the keg holds the equivalent of 3 kegs at atmospheric pressure.

Brew on :mug:

The ideal gas law states: PV = nRT. P is pressure (absolute, not gauge), V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is a constant that depends on the units being used, and T is absolute temperature.

So at constant temperature P1 * V1 = P2 * V2. Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so at 14.7 psi gauge (29.4 psi absolute) a keg holds the equivalent of 2 kegs at atmospheric pressure. At 29.4 psi gauge the keg holds the equivalent of 3 kegs at atmospheric pressure.

Makes sense thankyou for breaking it out like this. Another question, if one referenced a carbonation chart (accounting for temp) and sets regulator to desired pressure. Is the volume in the headspace at that pressure enough to fully carbonate the beer or does a constant supply at that pressure (until equilibrium is met) needed?
Nice spreadsheet I'll keep for my records thankyou

Unless you have an inordinate amount of headspace (which would be extremely impractical) then no, it won't be enough and by far.

wrt the question "could I carbonate beer in a keg using a one-time shot of CO2", the answer could be yes, depending on the keg capacity, beer volume, target volumes of CO2, and the pressure used.

Is that a practical thing to do? I wouldn't think so, but I never tried it. I try to get every keg filled to exactly 5 gallons and that would be too much volume to even try it given the PRV would likely blow at the pressure required.

Strictly set'n'forget carbing here. Can't get into much trouble that way ;)

Cheers!

wrt the question "could I carbonate beer in a keg using a one-time shot of CO2", the answer could be yes, depending on the keg capacity, beer volume, target volumes of CO2, and the pressure used.

Definitely not practical. A five gal corny has a volume of about 5.35 gal. So, with 5.0 gal in the keg, starting with beer at 65°F from the fermenter, and put in a cooler at 35°F. You would have to pressurize the 0.35 gal headspace to 400 psi to end up with 2.58 volumes of CO2 in the beer, after the headspace and beer come to equilibrium.

Right. So, working backward assuming a PRV trip at 65 psi, what would be the most beer one could put in that same keg and successfully carb it to, let's say, 2 volumes, with one shot of CO2?

Right. So, working backward assuming a PRV trip at 65 psi, what would be the most beer one could put in that same keg and successfully carb it to, let's say, 2 volumes, with one shot of CO2?
Not really a very interesting or worthwhile problem to spend time on.

Ok it's not really that difficult so let's go with a practical example.
Let's say you'll force carbonate at 32°F to take advantage of CO2's higher density and solubility.
Let's say your beer has 0.8 vols of carbonation post-fermentation which is typical at ale temps. Let's say you want to achieve 2.5 vols meaning an increase of 1.7 vols.
At 32°F 1 vol of CO2 equals a pressure of 13.46 PSI since colder gas is also denser.
Equilibrium pressure at 32°F and 2.5 vols is 8 PSI overpressure. Since you can only pressurize once at 65 PSI you can only use 57 PSI to force carbonate, equivalent to 57/13.4=4.23 vols of CO2.
Since we only need 1.7 vols of carbonation to be added to beer we will need 1.7/4.23=0.4 volumes of headspace per unit of volume of beer.
We then divide 1/1.40=0.71. This means that our keg will have to be filled to 71% of its total capacity (not the net capacity which already accounts for unusable volume) to achieve the desired result under these conditions. If as Doug says a 5 gal corny has an actual volume of 5.35 gal then in our example we can only fill it with 3.9 gal of beer which IMHO would be quite wasteful.
This would improve to 77% of total volume if we were to do this with a lager fermented at typical lager temp (48°F) giving us 4.4 gal usable volume. It's a bit better but still rather wasteful.

If CO2 pressure is held at the equilibrium pressure for any given maintained temperature, how long does it typically take to fully carbonate a keg with CO2? I ask because all of my life I've bottled, and now I'm finally giving thought to kegging.

I've been doing that "set'n'forget" carbonation method for many years, and for FGs around 1.015 and below it takes 2 weeks plus a couple of days, with higher FGs taking longer.

3.9 to 4.4 gallons doesn't seem too bad, actually, though again this isn't something I'd actually do...

Cheers!

I've been doing that "set'n'forget" carbonation method for many years, and for FGs around 1.015 and below it takes 2 weeks plus a couple of days, with higher FGs taking longer.

Do you reduce the pressure a bit when it comes time to fill the glass, or leave it at "set and forget"? For a Kegorator or Keezer maintained at 36-38 degrees, does 10 PSI sound about right for set and forget?

Do you reduce the pressure a bit when it comes time to fill the glass, or leave it at "set and forget"?

Normally, you'd leave it, which is pretty much the idea behind the "forget" part.

For a Kegorator or Keezer maintained at 36-38 degrees, does 10 PSI sound about right for set and forget?

At 37F and 10 PSI, you'd have a hair over 2.4 volumes of CO2. The key to a good pour is using the beer line length that adds just the right amount of resistance against that (10 PSI in this case) pressure.

At 37F and 10 PSI, you'd have a hair over 2.4 volumes of CO2. The key to a good pour is using the beer line length that adds just the right amount of resistance against that (10 PSI in this case) pressure.

Thanks! How is the ideal line length and internal diameter determined?

Thanks! How is the ideal line length and internal diameter determined?

Basically, by adding up all the resistances in the system. Assuming you're using standard vinyl tubing, you're going to almost certainly want 3/16" ID. Then you're solving for the length. There are some calculators out there. BrewCipher has one, too. Here's some reading on the subject. A More Accurate Approach to Draft System Balancing « SeanTerrill.com This is not exactly the formula BC (or any of the others necessarily) use, but it's a good read.

One tip... regardless of the formula/calculator used, err on the side of cutting your line longer than the recommendation rather than shorter. You can always cut again if the pour is too slow.

ETA: I used to change out my line lengths whenever I changed kegs with different CO2 levels. Now I use flow control faucets, and it's so much easier.

Yes, I use "chart pressure" for the life of the keg. Refer to our favorite carbonation table to determine your "chart pressure". Then, use the only beer line length calculator worth using to determine the minimum tubing length give the chart pressure, tubing ID, and a few other user-specific parameters.

I use 12 psi indicated (which is roughly 11 psi at the keg once the two check valves in the gas paths are accounted for). When I was using standard 3/16" ID solid pvc tubing (ala Bevlex 200) I used 12 feet of it for most beers, which is roughly 1 foot per PSI, and always got great pours. When I switched to 4mm ID line, the lengths dropped to 6', with identical quality pours. So ID is important!

Cheers!

Ok it's not really that difficult so let's go with a practical example.
Let's say you'll force carbonate at 32°F to take advantage of CO2's higher density and solubility.
Let's say your beer has 0.8 vols of carbonation post-fermentation which is typical at ale temps. Let's say you want to achieve 2.5 vols meaning an increase of 1.7 vols.
At 32°F 1 vol of CO2 equals a pressure of 13.46 PSI since colder gas is also denser.
Equilibrium pressure at 32°F and 2.5 vols is 8 PSI overpressure. Since you can only pressurize once at 65 PSI you can only use 57 PSI to force carbonate, equivalent to 57/13.4=4.23 vols of CO2.
Since we only need 1.7 vols of carbonation to be added to beer we will need 1.7/4.23=0.4 volumes of headspace per unit of volume of beer.
We then divide 1/1.40=0.71. This means that our keg will have to be filled to 71% of its total capacity (not the net capacity which already accounts for unusable volume) to achieve the desired result under these conditions. If as Doug says a 5 gal corny has an actual volume of 5.35 gal then in our example we can only fill it with 3.9 gal of beer which IMHO would be quite wasteful.
This would improve to 77% of total volume if we were to do this with a lager fermented at typical lager temp (48°F) giving us 4.4 gal usable volume. It's a bit better but still rather wasteful.
Interesting way to approach solving the problem. Couple of issues tho:
  • A volume of carb is defined at STP (standard temperature and pressure) which is 0°C (32°F) and one atmosphere (14.695 psi absolute.) Thus your use of 13.46 psi is incorrect.
  • AJ deLange gives the following equation for volumes of CO2 as a function of pressure and temperature (sorry the link to the paper no longer works, but I can send a copy on request.)
    • V = (P+14.695)*(0.01821+0.090115*exp(-(T-32)/43.11))-0.003342, where P is in PSI gauge, and T in °F. If we solve this for P, we get:
    • P = (V+0.003342)/(0.01821+0.090115*exp(-(T-32)/43.11))-14.695
  • According to the above equation, beer fermented at 65°F and 0 psi will have 0.88 volumes of carb initially. Thus for 2.5 volume final carb, you need to add 1.62 volumes of additional CO2.
  • Also according to the equation, 2.5 volumes at 32°F, requires 8.4 psi gauge of CO2 in the headspace, which is 23.11 psi absolute.
  • If we put 65 psig (79.695 psia) in the headspace at 65°F (18.3°C) and then cool to 32°F (0°C) the pressure in the headspace will be:
    • 79.695 * 273.15/(273.15+18.3) = 74.69 psia --> 60 psig, and the head space will contain:
    • 74.69/14.695 = 5.08 volumes of CO2 (have to use absolute pressure when taking ratios)
  • The headspace needs the have 8.4 psig or (14.695+8.4)/14.695 = 1.57 volumes of CO2 at equilibrium. Thus the headspace contains 5.08 - 1.57 = 3.51 volumes of excess CO2 initially.
  • The headspace to beer ratio then needs to be 1.62/3.51 = 0.46
  • In a 5.35 gal keg, the beer volume then becomes 5.35/(1.46) = 3.66 gal

I was using the carbonation tables commonly referenced by homebreweres. I don't know if AJ's formulas are more accurate or not.
As for STP's it's a real quagmire, especially if you live in a metric country and try and use imperial units... It turns out in the metric world the standard temperature is 15°C and not 25°C as I erroneously used.
As for headspace pressure I was going on the assumption that the gas bottle would be at the same temperature as the keg so that there would be no cooling of the injected gas so as to maximize yield.

I was using the carbonation tables commonly referenced by homebreweres. I don't know if AJ's formulas are more accurate or not.
As for STP's it's a real quagmire, especially if you live in a metric country and try and use imperial units... It turns out in the metric world the standard temperature is 15°C and not 25°C as I erroneously used.
As for headspace pressure I was going on the assumption that the gas bottle would be at the same temperature as the keg so that there would be no cooling of the injected gas so as to maximize yield.
The best known table in the homebrew arena (the one linked by day_trippr above) is generated in a spreadsheet from an unknown equation. The equation I showed above was fitted to the ASBC table and has an RMS disagreement with the table of 0.01 volumes and a worst case error of -0.044 volumes, so it's pretty accurate.

STP (as I learned in freshman chemistry) is 0°C and 1 atm - looks pretty metric to me. Never heard of 15°C as a standard temp. It's critical in the definition of a volume of CO2.

Changes in the initial gas temp will shift the numbers somewhat, but the biggest error you made was doing calculations with gauge pressures rather than absolute pressures. The only legit math you can do with gauge pressures is subtraction. All other operations need to be done with absolute pressures.

Attachments

• CO2 Volumes.pdf
    251.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
How many grams of CO2 are in a 5 gallon Keg of beer plus its headspace when at equilibrium at 2.4 volumes and at 36 degrees F?

What would be the carbonation level if one tossed the requisite grams of dry ice as calculated for the condition seen above (minus the grams already in solution from fermentation) into a keg that had 5 gallons of beer in it, and sealed up the keg and then waited 2-3 weeks? Lets say the keg is stored at 36 degrees F.

Last edited:
The dry ice will quickly sublimate causing very high pressure to form in the keg. Either the PRV will release pressure or the keg will explode, so I guess after 2-3 weeks the beer will be quite flat. Or there won't be any beer if the keg exploded.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

The dry ice will quickly sublimate causing very high pressure to form in the keg. Either the PRV will release pressure or the keg will explode, so I guess after 2-3 weeks the beer will be quite flat. Or there won't be any beer if the keg exploded.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Would this somehow be different as to danger level from attempting a "one shot" pressurization via a CO2 cylinder as has been discussed above?

Yes, I use "chart pressure" for the life of the keg. Refer to our favorite carbonation table to determine your "chart pressure". Then, use the only beer line length calculator worth using to determine the minimum tubing length give the chart pressure, tubing ID, and a few other user-specific parameters.

I use 12 psi indicated (which is roughly 11 psi at the keg once the two check valves in the gas paths are accounted for). When I was using standard 3/16" ID solid pvc tubing (ala Bevlex 200) I used 12 feet of it for most beers, which is roughly 1 foot per PSI, and always got great pours. When I switched to 4mm ID line, the lengths dropped to 6', with identical quality pours. So ID is important!

Cheers!

How would 5.5 ft. of 4mm ID and 10 PSI sound as to pours?

Perfecto! :D
I'm running 6 feet at the pressure related above...
[edit] Wait - I already said that :)

fwiw, @Bobby_M did some empirical testing and ended up at 5.5 foot lengths in his EVAbarrier kits...

Cheers!

Would this somehow be different as to danger level from attempting a "one shot" pressurization via a CO2 cylinder as has been discussed above?
Definitely. You're adding a lot of CO2 all at once which is not possible when using a CO2 regulator as it has an upper limit and usually its own PRV as well.

I've always assumed STP to be 760mmHg, 20°C because thats what is used in my field. 🤔

Peeking into the rabbit hole I'm reminded that at 4°C water reaches it's maximum density, and thus I can fit the maximum amount of beer in my keg. That's some practical, useful physics.

Back