calculating a shandy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddfore

Reaction score
Just started kegging mostly so I could make shadys without the yeast eating the sugar. So, do I calculate my recipe so that the final batch(including juice) will be in my target range for OG(say 1.045). What I mean is my starting batch would be 3.75 gal @ 1.054 OG so that when I add 1 gallon of juice, it will be approx. 1.045. Does this seem correct?

Thanks,
Todd

You must brew the base beer to a calculated volume and FG such that post dilution you attain the desired volume and FG you wish to serve. That is, the base beer at low volume and high final gravity so that after dilution with the soda/lemonade/etc.. you balance it out the diluted FG with the volume added.

This is a unproven recipe but if you want to give it a try, have at it. I did make a similar recipe as a Wit that was good but didn't make it as a shandy.

3.5lbs Wheat
2.75lbs Pilsner
1lb Golden Promise
1lb Golden Naked Oats
Mash @ 122* for 20min, 140* for 20min, 152* for 20min
Boil for 90min.
8 grams Amarillo for 60min
10g. Jarrylo for 5min
1g crushed coriander, 4g grains of paradise, 1 vanilla bean, 10g orange peel, and 7g Jarrylo in a 20min whirlpool @ 170* after flameout.
@66%(my BIAB eff.) this should get me 4gall @1.051. Thinking of using 1 gall. orange/tangerine juice but will add to taste. This should bring me down around 1.045
If you chose to take the challenge, let me know how it comes out.

There are some other options here as well. By all means test your recipe/method but another way its being done is to brew your base beer at full strength and volume and then, when you transfer into the keg rack it on top of a thawed can of frozen lemonade concentrate. Since it will be almost immediately going into your kegerator/keezer you wont get secondary fermentation. ***Note, you really need to shake the ever-loving-piss out of the keg to get the concentrate mixed with the beer. and you'll probably want to pop it out of the kegerator and re-shake it a few times over the first day or two. This is @RJBanks system. There's a whole thread/recipe here

Recipe is tested and definitely worth looking at even if just for inspiration.

Ok, brewed the shady using the above recipe. Use BIAB method at got a 72% eff. so you may have to adjust lbs and ozs but could still go by grain % of bill. Ended up w/4.4gall and only needed to add 64oz of 100% pineapple juice. It is definitely a shandy as in not hoppy and sweet/tart. I'm not a hop head but might add a little more bittering hops next time.

I didn't use the hops listed. Here is what I used:
10g Amarillo @60
8g Sterling and 8g German Manderina @ 5min.
10g German Manderina and 4g Sterling in a 20min. whilpool @ 170*

Todd

Back