Calculated my beer intake, what's yours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago I had blood work done and my cholesterol was out of balance. My overall number was fine, but my HDL (good cholesterol) was low. The Dr. pointed out that drinking 1-2 drinks daily could raise HDL levels. Of course he also pointed out that drinking more than that regularly had other negative side effects. I decided to take his prescription.

I bottle my homebrew in bombers and drink one 5-6 nights a week. On the other 1-2 nights I have a commercial bomber or some bourbon. I rarely go a night with more, and I rarely skip a night. Just like any other medicine, it works best when taken as directed. This 'medicine' is just more enjoyable than some others.

My HDLs have been much better ever since. :mug: Here's to my health.

i drink 1 or 2 beers a night then on weekends (i have sundays and mondays off) i will usually only drink one of those nights. i play indoor soccer on sunday evenings and feel terrible if i drink alcohol, so i usually unwind with some chai tea

then again i have to drink at work since my job is running beer tastings...

I usually drink at least a pint a day. Usually 2 or 3 if I get started early in the evening. But I always have a beer with dinner. I'm getting a beer right now. I think I'll go with a IIPA. I usually brew my 200 gal a year before august. :D

I also drink a stupid amount of gin when I go out. I pretty much brew the beer that I drink anymore.

I am seriously slacking.... I may have one or two on a Thursday night. And then 3-6 on Friday and Saturday. Typically I don't have any during the other nights. I think I need to step up my intake! Unfortunately, working + grad school is taking up a lot of my drinking time. I'm trying not to let it impact my brewing time though. :D I do add some whiskey or Jager into the mix once or twice a month.

I drink several pints per day, I use Imperial pint glasses but only fill half way most of the time. I rarely get stumbling drunk but I like me a nice buzz. :D All bets are off if we have company over. I drink wine on occasion, usually with dinner either out or when we have dinner parties at home. I rarely drink hard stuff, but I do like a good Martini or gin and tonic on occasion. If I'm smoking a cigar or a pipe I like a couple fingers of nice Islay single malt or good bourbon. But mostly its homebrew! Life is short, enjoy it!

SWMBO thinks I drink too much, but buys me homebrew supplies and equipment as gifts.. talk about mixed signals.

I drink at least 2 a night, typically more unless her wrath is incurred.

Gentlemen,

7.4 'seven point four'.
The answer to 'how many beers I drink on an average, given day'.
Now, that number is an average, taken from actual records.
A few years ago, I brewed 300 Lbs of DME into 2,000 12 Oz ales.
Average 7-8 Lbs per batch.
I brewed from November till July 28th when I drank the last one, sniff.
9 months... 2,000 beers...
2,000 ales divided by 9 months and further divided by 30 days...
7.4 beers a day on average.

Of course I drank store bought beer too which doesn't count.
Make that 9-10-11 beers.
And mein acht pfund Hammerbier is 6 3/4% alcohol.
Half again as much as 'store bought swill'.

Basically I would say a gallon a day is a bit much.
On average, call it 10 beers a day.
No...
'Mein Hammerbier' at 6 3/4 alcohol...
being actually 1.5 'beers'...
plus store bought swill,
and a bottle of Tequlia now and then...
or Scotch...
Call it a round gallon a day.

Thank you

J. Winters von Knife
and his 'world famous Coon Hound'
miss Sandymay
jacksknifeshop

SWMBO thinks I drink too much, but buys me homebrew supplies and equipment as gifts.. talk about mixed signals.

I drink at least 2 a night, typically more unless her wrath is incurred.

Just got the wrath last nite. She use the word "Alcoholic". Her family are raging or recoverying alcoholics, so she is very sensitized to the whole issue. She claims to have no problems with the 2 per night, however 6-8 on a weekend day is over her limit. I'm getting seriously PO'd even writing about it. I'll cut back on weekends for a while and get us into some counseling fast.

She got me started in homebrewing, but now has an issue with consuming what I make. I made it worse by picking up a new (to me) brew kettle, burner and plate chiller just before she unleashed the wrath.

I get the wrath because apparently when I drink too close to bedtime I snore like a buzz saw. She's an avid beer drinker, but she doesn't like to drink at home. Whereas I like to drink... pretty much anywhere.

I also come from a family with addiction issues, but my compulsion seems to revolve around finishing video games more than raging alcoholic. Someone used the term "functioning alcoholic" earlier in the thread which might better classify me? I dont know.

I dont often get "drunk" when I drink, but I sure do drink my share...

Much less than I used to. I am in the process of losing weight so I have cut beer out for the most part during Sunday-Thursday.

Mine probably works out to 1 a day.

Two six packs a week, maybe more on weekends.
Maybe just one sixer some weeks.

I'm also poor right now.

3 beers a night (used to be 1 or 2 before i started kegging) that is 103 gallons at this current rate.

at that rate i need to brew 2 gallons per week just to keep up. no wonder it feels like i am always brewing.

god i start to worry about my health when i see it on the screen like that. i get all nervous and scared. my hands start to get sticky and my heart rate goes up. . . i need to go have a beer and relax a bit.

The massive amount of beer I consume a year should not be put into numbers. It would scare myself and many of you.

facts: The most beer I can remember drinking in one day was over 20 somewhere. I used to routinely grab a 12pk of beer on the way home from work and easily finish 8 or more, usually 10, pass out, and go to work, do it all over again.

I have actually found that Homebrewing has reduced my beer intake, because I am starting to have more respect for beer and learning about it. Maybe this is a good thing.

Ok, since I know someone would probably ask I would make a conservative estimate that I drink between 175-200 gallons of beer a year. And thats only assuming I drink 30 beers a week. I usually do that between Friday and Sunday. YIKES!!!

I'm about to make most of you feel better about your drinking habits. :)

At one point in my life, among a certain segment of the population, one's alcohol tolerance was a point of pride. And I didn't have all that much to boast about, despite these numbers.

750ml of 80 proof liquor would not last the day between myself and my drinking buddy.
24 beers would routinely be consumed by the 2 of us prior to going to a bar.
On his birthday, we would each pound a pint of Jaegermeister outside the bar, then walk in and see how long we could order drinks before being kicked out. Oh, and he was a longtime friend of the owner.
With 3 exceptions, every woman I've ever dated, including my ex wife, I met at a bar. 1 of the exceptions I met while I was half passed out in a snowbank outside the bar.

I quit drinking once. I got fired. my boss told me I was a better employee when I was hungover.

At a party once, I was told I could have a fifth of whiskey if I finished it in one shot. I did. I passed out 30 minutes later.

I lived this way for all of the 90s. In 97 I got a job at an ISP. After a little over a year, I was promoted high enough to get my own office. We had weekly staff meetings at some nearby bar. Brooklyn Brewery was a client and paid their bill in beer every month. My boss routinely brought in growlers from local breweries and we'd drink em at work.

Then the dot com bubble burst and I became a mechanic. I now drink far less than I did then. It's just too dangerous to come to work hung over every day.

So, best guesstimate is back then I easily put away the equivalent of 500 gallons of beer per year. Probably more. Now I drink 0 - 6 beers on weeknights, 12 or so on weekends.

But this Sunday, I'll easily drink a case of beer and half a bottle of tequila. I have a free pass to show up as late as I need to on Monday. :)

I drink too much but I don't really care. Not much if any Sun - Thurs because of my job but on Fri and Sat... yeah... way too much. I make good beer so it's an enjoyable experience.

I just talked with a guy yesterday and told him that my lady and I go through a 24 pack a week and his eyes widened! I looked at him and said, "Hey, that is two beers each a night. You drink a glass or two of wine a night, what's the difference?"

I also mentioned that I consume copious quantities of alcoholic beverages. Period.

I worked at a gas station for awhile and i sold a lot of beer. I had one guy that came down and bought a 24 pack 5 days a weeks. sometimes it would be a 30 pack.

after this went on for years i finally talked with his wife (also a regular, they both worked next door) about it and she said that on their days off they buy it at the store next to their house.

Assuming he drank 24 a day and not the 30 that come to 821 gallons a year. And at the time I think it came to almost $5000 a years in beer.

I almost suggested that he home brew but he was drinking crap beer. The math was not that different. plus i am not sure anyone can brew that much and still drink that much every night.

24 hours in a day minus 8 for work and 8 for sleep and getting ready for work. take out another hour for driving to and from work. that is 7 hours a day at most for drinking. 3.5 beers an hours does not sound like much when you break done the math, but try it sometime during the week. Then do it the next.

I think I get a fail here. One of the beers in the kegger is over a year old and I just finished the last bottle of 2007 Tannen Bomb.

I had always thought to myself that I drank more than a lot of people that I knew. Then I hung out with the euros at work for a while.

Ant

My roommate just asked me the other day If I was drinking as much as I normally do, he said it with that kinda concerned face, I told him that I was, which is about 2-3 a day. I asked why he was wondering, he told me it was because we have 2 kegs on tap for the last 3 weeks and we havent kicked them yet. Also said he wondered because the one keg is actually aged out now and doesnt taste great anymore.

Well truth be told, I am drinking just as much, but, my production went from 10gal a month to about 25 in a month. I, for the first time, have no where to put beer that is ready to keg.

Oh no:( I might have to wash bottles

but at about 3 a day on average thats about 1,100 bottles per year
1100 bottles x 12oz = 13,200oz per year
or
just over 100 gallons/year maybe 5 bottles wine/year and 2bottles scotch and or whiskey/year

Beer seems to have a lot more 'nourishing' qualities than other spirits. Sure you can get tanked on it, but more often than not-a few pints gives a slight buzz and provides a burst of energy. I have a few pints a day, and a bit more on the weekends. I thoroughly enjoy drinking good beer, but the intoxication is not the highest priority by a long shot. I was at a party on Saturday where everyone was slugging shots of bourbon and drinking vats of vodka...not that there's anything wrong with that, but it reminded me how for a lot of people-drinking is very results oriented, whereas I like the entire experience.

Back