Calcium hydroxide bucket for a fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robanna

Reaction score
I know that Calcium hydroxide is used as a water softener but...

What are people's thought on using an empty Calcium hydroxide bucket as a fermentor after completely cleaning it and few day exposure to sunlight?

I figure the part/million would be less than you'd swallow in a weeks worth of swimming :D

I have axcess to quite a few 5 and 10 gallon buckets like this:
PulsarGranular.jpg

The only question I'd have is if the bucket material is food grade. If it is, I don't think I'd worry about what was in it before, unless it was anthrax or something.

They are #2 HDPE buckets and Calcium Hypochlorite is used as drinking water treatment.
I'm on the fence on this one...someone give me a push one way or another.

Chances are that the material that was in the pail, no mater Calcium whatever, was granular causing many many small scratches in the walls. The question to you is; is it worth the money that you save worth risking a batch of beer?

I'm not so sure about Hypochlorite. This one would kina make me nervous. I read the MSDS:

PHYSICAL STATE; APPEARANCE:
WHITE SOLID IN VARIOUS FORMS , WITH PUNGENT ODOUR.

CHEMICAL DANGERS:
The substance decomposes rapidly on heating above 175°C and on contact with acids producing chlorine and oxygen and causing fire and explosion hazard. The substance is a strong oxidant and reacts violently with combustible and reducing materials. The solution in water is a medium strong base. Reacts violently with ammonia, amines nitrogen compounds and many other substances, causing explosion hazard. Attacks many metals forming flammable/explosive gas (hydrogen - see ICSC 0001). Attacks plastic.

Proper cleaning of the HDPE could be ok. But now I'm wondering if the Hypochlorite has reacted with the HDPE at all.

I have been offered several of these in the past. There is usually a warning on them about NOT reusing them. It's probably there for a reason.

Latest posts

Back