Caddyshack is not a sports movie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
o_o

My cup runneth over. Here I was thinking that I had been one of 3 (maybe 4) that were raised on Bob & Doug...oh, me and my naivete...

I remember watching the skits on SCTV, then as I grew older Strange Brew became a drinking game movie in college :mug:

I'm not sorry that I suck at golf. It is a dumb friggin' game and I have absolutely no interest in it. Notice I said GAME, not SPORT. It ain't a sport. Nyah. :p

I firmly believe that if you can drink beer while playing the sport and have it not considered to be wrong by the general populace than it is not, in fact, a sport but rather a game.

Games on this list: Golf, bowling, video games, fishing, nascar, etc.

wait a second...are you saying since fat, drunk people can play it, it must not be a sport??

Daily was what, high 200's at his peak? How fat was the "fridge"? 350? football must not be a sport. And what about Prince Fielder? He's at least 250. Baseball - not a sport. Hockey? those guys are huge, i could name a dozen over 250.

golf is a physical sport. if you aren't exhausted after walking 18, you aren't doing it right. sorry you suck at golf.

Exhausted after walking? :D You're really out of shape.

I firmly believe that if you can drink beer while playing the sport and have it not considered to be wrong by the general populace than it is not, in fact, a sport but rather a game.

Games on this list: Golf, bowling, video games, fishing, nascar, etc.

you can drink while playing any "sport".

just because a lot of amateurs screw around on the course doesn't mean that's how it is. are players drinking on the course on the tour? of course not.

are you saying players in other "sports" don't play hungover/drunk, wacked out on painkillers, etc?

are you saying players in other "sports" don't play hungover/drunk, wacked out on painkillers, etc?

Yeah but we aren't talking about that. We're talking about drinking while playing, which you can do in golf but not real sports, professional or otherwise.

Reading skills are not strong with this one.

EDIT: and before you say something about drinking in-between holes, since walking is apparently such a huge part of golf and how much of a "sport" it is, doesn't it seem odd you can drink while doing that but not while running, swining a bat, kicking a ball (whilst running, of course), etc, etc.

Yeah but we aren't talking about that. We're talking about drinking while playing, which you can do in golf but not real sports, professional or otherwise.

Reading skills are not strong with this one.

how can you do it in golf and not do it in other sports??

4 miles with 50 pounds on your back?

Try playing midfield in a competitive soccer match. Run 12-15 miles constantly throughout 90 minutes while other people are boxing you out, hitting you and generally being ********.

After doing that for 16 years of my life, 4 miles with an exaggerated fanny-pack is vacation. Which is also interesting, considering that's what a laaarge chunk of people do on vacation.. including REAL athletes.

how can you do it in golf and not do it in other sports??

Man, you're a quick one. Are you just sitting in front of you computer refreshing this screen until I make a reply? If you weren't being so incredibly defensive you would have seen the edit...

EDIT: and before you say something about drinking in-between holes, since walking is apparently such a huge part of golf and how much of a "sport" it is, doesn't it seem odd you can drink while doing that but not while running, swining a bat, kicking a ball (whilst running, of course), etc, etc.

Try playing midfield in a competitive soccer match. Run 12-15 miles constantly throughout 90 minutes while other people are boxing you out, hitting you and generally being ********.

After doing that for 16 years of my life, 4 miles with an exaggerated fanny-pack is vacation. Which is also interesting, considering that's what a laaarge chunk of people do on vacation.. including REAL athletes.

12 miles! you must suck at soccer too, running around needlessly

According to research compiled and studied by Don Kirkendall, co-author of the book ""Exercise and Sport Science," the average soccer player runs 10,000 m a game. Research shows that this distance was recorded as 8,800 in the 1970s. The growth is explained by evolution of game play and growing training and intensity of the players. 10,000 m, or about 6 miles, works out to be an average speed of 4 mph.

lol! aw, you got "boxed out"! people are "hitting you"? rugby matches are 90 minutes as well. try playing....well any position in rugby. run close to the same distance. oh, you're also getting hit. and i mean actually hit, not slapped on the wrist.

haters gonna hate. i never said it was "THE MOST EXHAUSTING SPORT IN THE WORLD!!!!" all i said was golf is a physical activity. apparently you didn't take my sylvan advice.

yeah, people golf on vaca, they ride.

semi-related, I think in like Sweden or something you need a doctor's excuse to take a cart.

Man, you're a quick one. Are you just sitting in front of you computer refreshing this screen until I make a reply? If you weren't being so incredibly defensive you would have seen the edit...

no, but i am at work, waiting for my intern to finish my work for me.

i don't even get your edit. are you saying baseball players can't possibly drink while in the dugout?? or football players on the sidelines??

just answer this for me:

do you really think baseball is SOOO much more a physical activity than golf it's in an entirely different realm?

The dining while playing argument is invalid. I don't play golf. Nor do I watch it, but I'd agree that golf is a sport. Just as volleyball is a sport. You can drink doing anything.

12 miles! you must suck at soccer too, running around needlessly
Um, the quote you put in said the "average soccer player." I said midfield.... average takes into account keepers. But even keepers run an average 2-3 miles a match. Middies, since they run the entire length of pitch over and over, run an average 12-15 miles.

lol! aw, you got "boxed out"! people are "hitting you"? rugby matches are 90 minutes as well. try playing....well any position in rugby. run close to the same distance. oh, you're also getting hit. and i mean actually hit, not slapped on the wrist.
First off, I wasn't about basketball. When does slapping on the wrist ever occur in soccer? Secondly, I wasn't talking about how hard or how much you get hit in soccer. Why is it that anytime ANYBODY talks about soccer, it's immediately a meathead's job to say, "But they don't hit like in football/rugby." Cool, that's your only argument. Way to go.

haters gonna hate. i never said it was "THE MOST EXHAUSTING SPORT IN THE WORLD!!!!" all i said was golf is a physical activity. apparently you didn't take my sylvan advice.
Right, a physical activity... not a sport.

yeah, people golf on vaca, they ride.
Exactly... it can't be that physically demanding if people do it when they're trying to relax.

semi-related, I think in like Sweden or something you need a doctor's excuse to take a cart.
So is it officially not a sport there, too? :D

just answer this for me:

do you really think baseball is SOOO much more a physical activity than golf it's in an entirely different realm?

No, it's really not and it's an argument I've made many many times. I actually think baseball is the second-most boring thing to watch on TV.... right behind golf.

Honestly, I'd consider baseball a game more than a sport *ducks head* HAHA, well actually it's just more of an automated highlight reel maker. 3-4 hours of standing that gets you < 60 seconds of a highlight reel? Yup, incredibly demanding :D

Um, the quote you put in said the "average soccer player." I said midfield.... average takes into account keepers. But even keepers run an average 2-3 miles a match. Middies, since they run the entire length of pitch over and over, run an average 12-15 miles.

http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/tracking-how-far-soccer-players-run-112/

When AC Milan’s Gennaro Gattuso (MIDFIELDER) was replaced in the 85th minute of the club’s 3-0 defeat of Manchester United in a Champions League semifinal earlier this month, he had run more than 10 kilometers, according to an on-screen graphic.

by "more than 10 kilmeters" they clearly meant 24 kilometers :rolleyes:

"But they don't hit like in football/rugby." Cool, that's your only argument. Way to go.

run a similar distance, and get hit. it's a valid argument

Right, a physical activity... not a sport.

i get the issue here, you just don't understand words:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport

ignore definion 'b'....or, don't?

a : a source of diversion : recreation
b : sexual play
c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

"but, that's not MY definion of sport!"

who gives a sh*t?

wa wa wa my name is reno and i write the dictionary wa wa wa

It sent me to an advertisement page to subscribe to Barron's... do you work for them? I think I'm going to have to flag you for spam :D

by "more than 10 kilmeters" they clearly meant 24 kilometers :rolleyes:
Yes, because one single isolated incident is the same as an average of every single midfielder. Math isn't your strong suit, is it?

run a similar distance, and get hit. it's a valid argument
A) You don't run a similar distance, B) You get more substitutions, C) There are actual breaks in play in which people can get a breather, D) Apparently you've never played soccer so you have zero input as to how much physical play occurs.

"but, that's not MY definion of sport!"

who gives a sh*t?

wa wa wa my name is reno and i write the dictionary wa wa wa
Ah, very mature... and quite astute, if I do say so myself. I especially like how you not only resorted to swearing but you also are pointing out something I never said. Now I understand how you come up with such outlandish arguments: you're a windowlicker. Now I feel bad... it's almost like I made fun of the mentally challenged kid in class.

It sent me to an advertisement page to subscribe to Barron's... do you work for them? I think I'm going to have to flag you for spam :D

you have to copy/paste the link. i don't run the internet...

Yes, because one single isolated incident is the same as an average of every single midfielder. Math isn't your strong suit, is it?

one single, isolated incident? are you saying that in this particular game, a European club championship game, he happened to run less than 50% of the "average" distance? that would be a pretty big statistical outlier, don't you think? but, yeah, it's my math that's questionable

so, you keep saying you're right i'm wrong, but haven't even tried to give some evidence.

A) You don't run a similar distance, B) You get more substitutions, C) There are actual breaks in play in which people can get a breather, D) Apparently you've never played soccer so you have zero input as to how much physical play occurs.

A) according to actual numbers, rugby players run about 80% of the distance soccer players do
B) rugby does have more subs, 7 vs 3. in practice though, they are generally reserved for injuries, and most players play the full 90.
C) there are certainly stoppages in play; there are stoppages in soccer as well, as well as general "idle" time for players, but rugby certainly has more time off.
D) I have played soccer, and i agree there is much more running involved. but rugby is more physically demanding.

wait, i thought you were a lacrosse player?

one single, isolated incident? are you saying that in this particular game, a European club championship game, he happened to run less than 50% of the "average" distance? that would be a pretty big statistical outlier, don't you think? but, yeah, it's my math that's questionable
Um... yes, that is what I'm saying. Learn more about math and statistics and you'll understand why it's not so odd.

wait, i thought you were a lacrosse player?

I've played soccer since I was 4 but played lacrosse in college since they didn't have a men's soccer club at the time (Title-9 school.)

I have 85 year old clients who hit the links multiple times a week. These guys take a good twenty minutes to shuffle from their cars to my office, yet they still can play. That kind of removes the "physical" aspect from golfing, IMHO.

Here's another thought. Is "hiking" a sport? That's a lot more physical than walking around a nicely manicured lawn. Often carrying a pack that weighs more than a set of golf clubs. No caddies, unless you count Sherpas.

Never heard anyone refer to hiking as a "sport," though.

Golf's a game with mild physical elements. I mean, ****, ****ing playing "Twister" can be considered physical, too!

jezter6 said:
I hate golf.

I try to play at least 1-2 times a month when it's not too hot/cold.

Me too. I really only do it for the intense workout and the beer drinking. If golf is not a sport beer drinking definitely is so I'm covered.

Reno_eNVy_446 said:
Um... yes, that is what I'm saying. Learn more about math and statistics and you'll understand why it's not so odd.

So there are players running up to 36k in a single game? I call bs. That would make him a marathon runner. And a damn good one if he can do the new york marathon in 90min. Even 24k is a pretty big feat

no dude, it's "math"

15 miles in 90 minutes is roughly 10 miles per hour. for the entire 90 minutes. lol!

Latest posts

Back