Cable/Internet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you had an image, everything should have gone back the way it was because that's like a complete copy of your harddrive. Sorta like a clone.

However, if it was just some version of a file backup then usually just the designated files and or folders are restored, not programs and settings.

It didn't give me any image choice & I didn't know how to do it manually. Not to mention, the damn thing picked & chose what it wanted to save, & non of it 2015! The instructions even said it'll save my non-windows stuff to "windows.old". BS! Pick-n-choose time again, even the external drive software. BS2 cloud only saved about half my notes & didn't save a couple recipes. Dammit, & I'm out smokes with a dead battery charging besides.
* Well, damn. The pic folders I copied from the external drive disappeared from the computer's picture file, & won't let me send the pics to the library picture folder. I thought that was how you get them into the computer's "pictures" folder? Can't get them to stay in there without the external drive plugged in???

The pictures library folder is merely a shortcut to the path:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\Pictures (or roughly that path...) The "Library" is meant to be a short list of places you go to often with various location that contain similar file types, like pictures in 1 library, music in another, etc.

I don't even use my libraries. It's probably a quicker way to organize, but it's not a physical location, more like a pointer.

For example, I can add a BUNCH of locations to the Music library and it will open and list them all. You can have your stuff spread out and it appears to be in one place.

I think your problem is that the library is not showing what it should. I am betting your files are still on the drive just not where you think they are.

Worst case, if you ship your drive to me I can run a recovery on it and see what's where and if anything can be recovered from deletion/format/partitioning. Sometimes you can get files back that the average user believes is gone. I'd even be willing to re-install Windows from scratch if you don't mind paying to send me the computer. There are things I can do in person that would be impossible to do remotely, like re-install the OS and recover files.

I had to wind up making new folders in the computer's pic folder in order to get them to download from the external drive. I've searched both drives everywhere, But can't find the latest re-write of my 2nd HB book, for instance. Besides, when I got into the thing where you can choose a drive when you can't boot to copy files from, it wouldn't even find a lot of the 2015 stuff? Gotta start re-writing some lost pages. Otherwise, It's coming along pretty decent. It just gets me that some stuff is gone/not saved before reload of windows 7. BS2 cloud didn't save the notes for all recipes, for instance?

Well, homer, you & my son James were right. You both told me the missing files are likely hidden on the hard drive someplace I wouldn't think to look. James has been telling me every time this thing gets messed up, it hides some programs, files, etc in odd-ball places. This time was no exception. I've been digging everywhere on all three drives (hard drive, DVD-RW & External) for any familiar-looking files with little success.
Then I said F'it, I'll search that DVD disc I made for my Open Office book files. Dang thing wouldn't show the some 194MB-worth of whatever's on it. But the little search window on the computer page upper right was another idea. I clicked on it, & tippytippytappy2b.doc showed in the search window. I let it run for several minutes, & it brought up several copies of the book file with a few different dates on them. And under each, one, of course, their particular memory location. "windows.old.000"! I'd looked there IDK how many times, but they all turned up under "guest" user/users, etc. Found every last one! Whew! Now if I could just find the missing BS2 recipes...I did manage to get what bits were left of that one to download BS 2.2 & then the cloud saves. So that's pretty good so far. Y'all got me to thinking in my desperation, now that my HB book proposal & the ebook itself is off to the publisher...

Back