C02 Tank Size??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadWeb

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the middle of turning an old full size fridge into a kegerator. I am going to have 4 CO2 lines going to 4 cornies. I am going to have 2 serviing lines.

It is my intention to have two kegs serving and 2 kegs carbing at a time and then rotate the kegs when one of my serving kegs goes dry. I already have all the plumbing figured out.

This is the first time I have owned a kegerator so I am not sure how much CO2 I am going to go through. I was wondering if there is any kind of guidelines for CO2 tank size. I don't want to have to be running to the gas store every other week to have tank filled. Thanks!

Hey guys, I am in the middle of turning an old full size fridge into a kegerator. I am going to have 4 CO2 lines going to 4 cornies. I am going to have 2 serviing lines.

It is my intention to have two kegs serving and 2 kegs carbing at a time and then rotate the kegs when one of my serving kegs goes dry. I already have all the plumbing figured out.

This is the first time I have owned a kegerator so I am not sure how much CO2 I am going to go through. I was wondering if there is any kind of guidelines for CO2 tank size. I don't want to have to be running to the gas store every other week to have tank filled. Thanks!
Personally, I've been running the same 5 lb. tank now for about 10 or 12 kegs (serving tank). I picked up a good deal on another 5 lb. tank about 2 months ago, bought a seperate regulator, added a gas line and ball lock valve, and now I have a seperate tank for charging/force carbing. If my serving tank ever runs out, I'll just quickly change to my standby "carbing" tank, and keep on serving. Then I can take the other tank in for charge and relegate it to my charging tank. Y'oud be surprised how convenient 2 tanks and 2 regulators are. If you get only one large, say 10 or 20 lb. tank, you'll have no stand by and you'll be constantly disconnecting to charge kegs that are conditioning. Just a thought. Good luck, Bud.
Beers,
Ken

I second the 20 lb size. You'll need to run the CO2 from outside the firdge, though, as there won't be enough room. good luck!

Used properly with no leaks, CO2 can last a long time. Having more then one cylinder is handy, more so if your local refill place is closed on the weekends and you happen to run out :)

With proper distribution and placement, it's not to hard to have plenty of lines to serve and carb at the same time. I do use my spare tank for transfering and such, but typically use my serving one for carbing, since I cool and carb in fridge.

The only other thing I would point out, is cost of refilling- It's cheaper to refill a larger tank- my 5# is $10, my 20# is like $12.

I am going to be running a dual regulator with two 2-way manifolds so I am just planning to run one tank outside of the fridge. From what you all are saying sounds like a 20#er should do the trick.

I was hoping just to rent a tank from the local compressed gases company rather than buying one but it was alot more expensive than I expected. I assumed it would be similar to picking up a propane tank in price. They wanted $175.00 for a 5 year lease on a 20# tank, or I could by a new one for $189.00... You know what they say about assume.

Both those number seemed super high to me. Anyone know of a source that sells used or refurbished 20# cylindars for cheap?

Go with a 20#. It will last a long time, but having a 5# as backup is nice.

A 20 oz. paintball tank and the regulator adapter can serve as the backup and will do well to push (not carb) your beers till you get the 20 pounder refilled.

I was hoping just to rent a tank from the local compressed gases company rather than buying one but it was alot more expensive than I expected. I assumed it would be similar to picking up a propane tank in price. They wanted $175.00 for a 5 year lease on a 20# tank, or I could by a new one for $189.00... You know what they say about assume.
You need to look elsewhere that's a complete rip off and if they are ripping you off on the tank you can bet your last $ the gas is rip off too!

15# CO2 Tank Reconditioned Steel

before you buy make sure you don't end up just swapping tanks out nothing like buying a brand new tank only to give it away for an old one

I pay about the same money to have a 5# tank filled as I do to swap a 20# tank out prices vary wildly for gas shop around

Latest posts

Back