BYO American Stout just won't carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainBeersponge

Reaction score
Hi All,
I made a 10 gallon batch of BYO's recipe, split it in two kegs and put one on CO2 and one on NO. Both have been on the gas for a month. The CO2 has been at 12-15 psi, the NO:confused at all sorts of pressures while I try and get some head out of the stout faucet. The CO2 version has a hint of carbonation. The NO is completely flat. This system worked fine last time for a Guinness clone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
:confused:

Hi All,
I made a 10 gallon batch of BYO's recipe, split it in two kegs and put one on CO2 and one on NO. Both have been on the gas for a month. The CO2 has been at 12-15 psi, the NO:confused at all sorts of pressures while I try and get some head out of the stout faucet. The CO2 version has a hint of carbonation. The NO is completely flat. This system worked fine last time for a Guinness clone. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
:confused:

I know nothing about NO, but didn't think it would carbonate beer.

As far as the keg on C02, if it's been on 12-15 psi for two weeks at fridge temps and it's not carbed you either have a leak or your gauge is wrong.

What's the fridge temp on the keg?

The Co2 keg is at 38 deg. The Nitrogen is at 42. Kegs are holding pressure. The tanks would be empty if not. I don't make much stout but last time I just used Nitrogen and got a good head and a falling cascade of tiny bubbles on each pour. This time it comes out like cold coffee. I guess I could warm it up and have it with a donut.

The Co2 keg is at 38 deg. The Nitrogen is at 42. Kegs are holding pressure. The tanks would be empty if not. I don't make much stout but last time I just used Nitrogen and got a good head and a falling cascade of tiny bubbles on each pour. This time it comes out like cold coffee. I guess I could warm it up and have it with a donut.

At 38 degrees, 14 psi of c02 should be plenty fizzy (too much so) after a couple of weeks. That defies the laws of physics, so something is wrong. Either the gas isn't going into the tank, or it's leaking out somewhere. That's the only two possibilities.

Something I've noticed I do sometimes by mistake some times is that I'll dial up the pressure past where I want it and then dial it back thinking that will reduce the pressure. It won't without pulling the relief valve, but instead I turn the dial back so much it's off. The guage is then just showing the pressure on the valve and nothing is pushing on the tank.

Maybe that's what you're seeing.

Try turning the gas up very slowly until you can just start to hear the gas hiss into the tank.

Is there any pressure in the kegs? Check your check valves?

Latest posts

Back