BVIP is my white whale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
Denny's BVIP is hands down my favorite homebrew, even though I've never managed to get it quite right. Something always goes wrong for one reason or another. This last time I grabbed the wrong hops from my freezer. The alpha acid were the same % so I'm not extremely worried. At some point during the boil, my kids (2 and 3 years) started a ruckus and I must have had a boil over during this time because when I went outside my flame had gone out :(
AND I missed my OG by .018, so I guess I need to figure out why my efficiency is so low

Made this before and took 2nd place at the Michigan sate fair with it. I just made it a second time using Denny's 1450 yeast I have to keg it this weekend. I really like this beer and is a favorite among friends.

Certainly is a great beer! If you are looking for efficiency help though you will need to provide detailed information regarding your process and set up from quality of crush to mash in, sparge, pre-boil volumes and gravity to post boil volumes and gravity. Also type of water and pH would help.

Might as well start from the top
Water- city tap water (lansing, mi)
pH 9.4
Ca 50 ppm
Mg 40 ppm
Na 44 ppm
SO4 70 ppm
Cl 46 ppm
HCO3 15 ppm
Water is treated with chloramine- I used 1/2 campden tablet to treat 10 gallons

Crush- barley crusher, gap set to 0.030" (credit card thickness) mill driven by drill

MLT is a cooler with SS Braid and I batch sparge, drain completely before sparging with 1/2 sparge water at a time.

Grain bill
12 lbs 2 row
2.5 lbs Munich
1.5 lbs brown malt
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
1 lbs crystal 120L
.5 lbs crystal 40L

I believe Denny's recipe is set for 75% efficiency, did you scale for your efficiency?

Did you adjust water for proper mash pH? I don't think the grain bill alone will bring the pH down enough to hit 5.2-5.4 ideal pH.

Did you hit your pre boil volume and post boil into fermenter?

I'm not at my computer but you've got a lot more specialty grains in there, more than I remember the original recipe having but I might not be remembering it correctly:eek:. This might affect your attenuation and FG, also, what temp did you mash at?

http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_bourbon_vanilla_porter.php
This is a little different from the recipe I used, as I see now. I had an extra 4oz of chocolate malt and my efficiency is usually the 70% assumed in the recipe, but I had an extra pound because my efficiency goes down with larger batches. I also see that this recipe has a lower OG than the recipe I was using (found on HBT) so I only missed my target by about .008

As far as mash pH, I've never messed with it.

By larger batches I mean higher gravity batches
edit: I also see that this is for a 6 gallon batch. Which would explain why my software thought my OG should be 1.096

Well, with your recipe you've got 23% specialty grains which is a lot! I would mash on the low side to ensure a more fermentable wort. If you mash at the recipes suggestion you will get poor attenuation and a higher than desired FG

I think I have it figured out. My last batch I ended up with 59% efficiency. If I'm understanding things correctly, low mash pH can cause reduced efficiency
According to my city water report (CaCO3 is 35, Ca is 50, and Mg is 49), my residual alkalinity is 15. For a darker beer, my RA needs to be about 200-250. I've just been getting into water chemistry, so I may be way off on this. John Palmers nomograph shows that my untreated is more suited to beers that are under 10 SRM. I guess next batch I will try adding some carbonates before I mess with the grain bill.

Yes, if your pH is not conducive for proper conversion efficiency can suffer.

BTW, as an afterthought is you hydrometer calibrated and are you correcting for temp on your readings?

Haven't calibrated my hydrometer, on other beers I get readings close to what I expect. Took a reading in this batch of BVIP and it went from 1.072 to 1.020 after 6 days.
I do correct hydrometer readings for temp with beer smith.

clarksc4 said:
Haven't calibrated my hydrometer, on other beers I get readings close to what I expect. Took a reading in this batch of BVIP and it went from 1.072 to 1.020 after 6 days. I do correct hydrometer readings for temp with beer smith.

It's important to know that your measuring devices are accurate. Place it in distilled water and it should read 1.000 at 60F

http://www.brew365.com/beer_dennys_bourbon_vanilla_porter.php
This is a little different from the recipe I used, as I see now. I had an extra 4oz of chocolate malt and my efficiency is usually the 70% assumed in the recipe, but I had an extra pound because my efficiency goes down with larger batches. I also see that this recipe has a lower OG than the recipe I was using (found on HBT) so I only missed my target by about .008

As far as mash pH, I've never messed with it.

With your starting pH, water adjustment is gonna be even more important than usual. Get a water analysis and Bru'nwater and see if it helps.

I think I have it figured out. My last batch I ended up with 59% efficiency. If I'm understanding things correctly, low mash pH can cause reduced efficiency
According to my city water report (CaCO3 is 35, Ca is 50, and Mg is 49), my residual alkalinity is 15. For a darker beer, my RA needs to be about 200-250. I've just been getting into water chemistry, so I may be way off on this. John Palmers nomograph shows that my untreated is more suited to beers that are under 10 SRM. I guess next batch I will try adding some carbonates before I mess with the grain bill.

I recommend you run fast and and far from that nomograph. John has admitted that it's faulty.

For your next try, here's the "official" recipe...

#264 Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 17.75
Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.58
Anticipated SRM: 45.4
Anticipated IBU: 31.8
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73 %
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 1.50 Gallons Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.75 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.063 SG 15.52 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
62.0 11.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
8.5 1.50 lbs. Brown Malt Great Britain 1.032 70
2.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
14.1 2.50 lbs. Munich Malt (Durst) Germany 1.037 10
5.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 120L America 1.033 120
7.0 1.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.65 oz. Magnum-Domestic Whole 15.00 29.2 60 min.
0.40 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 2.6 10 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Wy1450, Wy1056, or DCL Yeast US-56 Fermentis American Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Name:

Total Grain Lbs: 17.75
Total Water Qts: 23.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.13
Grain Temp: 65.00 F

Step Rest Start Stop Heat Infuse Infuse Infuse
Step Name Time Time Temp Temp Type Temp Amount Ratio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sacc 0 60 155 155 Infuse 172 23.00 1.30

Total Water Qts: 23.00 - After Additional Infusions
Total Water Gal: 5.75 - After Additional Infusions
Total Mash Volume Gal: 7.17 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.
All infusion amounts are in Quarts.
All infusion ratios are Quarts/Lbs.

When fermentation is complete, split 2 vanilla beans lengthwise. Scrape all the seeds and "gunk" from them and add it to the fermenter. Chop the beans into 2-3 in. long pieces and add them, too. Leave in secondary 10-14 days, then taste. You want the vanilla to be a bit on the strong side since it will fade. If the vanilla flavor is adequate, rack to bottling bucket or keg and add approximately 375 ml. of Jim Beam Black bourbon. You don't need to use an expensive bourbon, and you don't want to add a lot. The beer shouldn't scream "BOURBON!" at you. You should have an integrated flavor of the chocolatey porter, vanilla, and bourbon. This beer does not benefit from extended aging. I prefer it within a few months of brewing. The FG should be in the mid-high 20s, so don't worry about trying to get it lower.

Denny, tyvm for the official recipe! I had the same specialty grains, but I used 12# 2 row.
Thanks for the recommendation on the nomograph. What would you suggest I treat my water with? I have the corrected values and looked at the RA graph on bru'n water and it appears that my water is much better for light color beers.

Denny, tyvm for the official recipe! I had the same specialty grains, but I used 12# 2 row.
Thanks for the recommendation on the nomograph. What would you suggest I treat my water with? I have the corrected values and looked at the RA graph on bru'n water and it appears that my water is much better for light color beers.

You're going to need pickling lime and/or maybe baking soda. But out your water profile into Bru'nwater and use it to figure out what you need.

Put the numbers in Bru'n water and with an RA of 12, adding 2.9g of baking soda and 2.3g of calcium chloride to get my water profile in the green for black balance profile my estimate mash pH is 5.2

Latest posts

Back