Buying keg beer from microbreweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2puttbird

Reaction score
Hi all. I built a kegerator using lots of great tips from this site. Alas, I live in a relatively small town (even though it's a state capital) and my only local choice for buying kegs is a grocery store, who orders them from one of two local distributors. And I don't drink it fast enough to justify buying anything bigger than sixtels, so I'm having trouble buying anything other than "ordinary" stuff, with only a few exceptions.

There is a college town up the road, and they have a few microbreweries. They will fill my keg (which I don't have), but don't have their own. I assume that means a corny (so I can clean it), but my couplers are both standard Sankeys, so I guess I would have to switch one out.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions so that I can make an informed decision. What to get, where to get it, care and feeding, etc.

In the meantime, I'll be suffering through a sixtel of Amber Bock ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Okay, so maybe I should have guessed that, but it never even occurred to me that there would be enough people in my situation to create a market for something like that. Thanks so much for the replies!

Now I'm off to go keg shopping!

Back