Buying ingredients online.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eon

Reaction score
Does anyone know the best place to buy ingredients and equipment online? I live in Chicago Heights, IL. There are NO HomeBrew stores close to my area. Well, there is one, but they are VERY small and do not have a lot of stuff.

So far I have been using Midwest Brewing. I only use them because I bought my first brewing kit from them.

All opinions welcome!

Brewmasters Warehouse, Northern Brewer, Morebeer, and Midwest Supplies have been my go to's.

Northern Brewer has a new shop in Milwaukee. While it is a 2 hour drive, it could make for a fun day. Stock up on supplies, attend an event at the shop,pick up some New Glarus, etc.

I've been using Northern Brewer for a while now with no problems. I almost never go to my LHBS anymore.

I've used Morebeer several times because their prices are good, they ship free for most things if you order more than $59, and they've always been fast and reliable. The cost of this level of price and service is that they don't seem to have as large a selection as some others, but everything's been very high quality.

Northern Brewer will without a doubt be the fastest shipping to your door. I live near Springfield, IL and I can order on Tuesday night and have it at my doorstep on Friday by noon. Now that's fast shipping!

I've used all of the major online stores already mentioned. I try to "spread it around" among the vendors here. I just did a rather big order last night from Brewmaster's warehouse- partly because I'm a fan of how well they treat us here at HBT (as the other Vendors do as well) but he was the very first one I tried that had EVERYTHING I wanted in one shot. I got all kinds of stuff- "weird" grains like pale chocolate malt, golden promise malt, black roasted barley, summit hops, and then stuff like a hop stopper and beer line cleaner, and all the other miscellaneous stuff. They FedEx the stuff quickly, so I'll get it on Thursday!

I really like northernbrewer.com and austinhomebrew.com, too. I especially love AHS' kits- they have a bazillon "clone" kits and they have the greatest instructions. All the recipes I've tried have been awesome. Northern Brewer is sometimes missing some of the items I need but I've been very pleased with their service as well. I've ordered "big" stuff like a fully converted MLT from morebeer.com, with free shipping over $59!

I'd suggest looking at the sites mentioned and seeing what appeals to you most. When I first started, I bought mostly extract and partial mash kits and found that AHS was best for me for that purpose. As I brought more equipment, I bought from other online vendors. When I buy yeast, I try to order it at this time of year and usually from the closest vendor.

Brewmaster's Warehouse is my goto vendor. They take really good care of the Homebrewtalk faithful and their shipping is stupid fast.

I like to order from the closest shop. But then no one shop has everything I want, so I have to order from at least three places. For raw selection of grain Rebel Brewer is number one.

My rule of thumb is closest competent shop for online orders. That's Brewmaster's Warehouse for me. Before they could sell in Georgia, I bought from Rebel. The closest online shop to you that I've actually used is Listermann. He's out in Cinci. I used to buy from Listermann all the time but that was back when it only took $35 to get free shipping east of the Mississippi.

I've used austin, northern and brewmaster's. Had one grain order from brewmaster's that I wasn't totally happy with as the bag of grain ruptured inside the box and the box tore a bit. I don't think I lost any grain and I never contacted the company to let them know, so I can't complain. I am about to order another grain shipment from them, so it certainly has not deterred me.

Back