Buying Bulk - Want to Cover a Few Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chapa

Reaction score
I'm wanting to brew some different styles this summer, other than my usual pales and porters. I want to try and get some base/specialty malts that will cover a few of the styles, as well as hops - preferred yeast is also appreciated, as I'll probably buy a few and step up enough to separate and use for different batches.

Mainly some Belgian/Trappist styles, like a saison, abby, dubbel and strongs. One dilemma is, I don't have the equipment or bottles for some of the higher carb'd Belgian styles, so I may be limited there?

I have really been digging bocks as well lately, but don't really have a means of lagering. Any suggestions for something similar to a darker german style, that I wouldn't have to lager? Could probably get down to 60 or so at lowest.

I already plan to get some kind of Maris Otter or English base malt for my English and Scottish ales that are on my to-brew list, but I don't know if MO will work as a base for a Belgian brew.

I currently have EKG and Williamette hops. Other than that, most of my hops are American style citrus hops.

I know these are completely different beers, but any general suggestions to base/specialty malts & hops that I should get in bulk, that would cover multiple bases, would be much appreciated. I'm hooking up with a local guy, and want to get as much as I can in one trip.

Belgian
English
Scottish/Scotch

Start looking at recipes. I made a spreadsheet of all the beers I wanted to do in a year, and then totaled up ingredients. I subbed some of the hops, but kept all the grains the same.

(Two years later I still have some of the grains and hops. Dammit if I haven't had time to brew!)

B

Back