Buying/Building a bar. Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to put a full bar in my basment (L-shaped about 8 feet long) incorporating my kegerator of course. I am not very handy and do not have the tools I see are required in most of the bar plans you can order online. I live in northern NJ. Does anyone have any advice for me on where to buy a bar or what are my best options for this project?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Most prefabricated bars that you purchase are very expensive. I'd recommend contacting a carpenter or cabinet shop and see if they would custom build something for you. It won't cost any more than buying an off-the-shelf model and you will have a product that you can customize the design. Make it fit your space.

Here's a few tips:

1. You will never have enough counter space. Figure out what you need, then double or triple it.

2. You will run out of storage space right away. Figure out what you need, then double or triple it. My wife decided that we needed every type of glass (tumblers, margarita, martini, pint, shot, etc etc.). My storage cabinet is full.

3. If you can add plumbing, do it. A simple bar sink where you can rinse a glass, or toss ice is very useful. I don't use mine for washing, but I couldn't live without it. I even fill it with sanitizer and use my siphon to fill kegs or fermenting pails.

4. Leave plenty of space to walk & work behind it. I used masking tape to lay out some concepts on the floor before beginning to build. It helped to walk around and get a feel for the layout. I ended up making a few minor changes to fit the room.

Back