Butterrum Lifesavers for Primary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagnarTheRed

Reaction score
Im most likely going to try a half gallon experimental batch with butter rum flavored Lifesavers melted down, honey, water, and yeast. Has anyone ever attempted using hard candies? I'm afraid it'll be rocket fuel when it's done but I really want to make a Butterbeer (like from Harry Potter). Any insight on using hard candies for primary would be greatly appreciated.

Why not just get a butter rum extract and use that? Because that's all you're really adding for flavor otherwise you're also adding sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and vegetable oil. Plus you always dial in the butter rum flavor to your liking.

Why not just get a butter rum extract and use that? Because that's all you're really adding for flavor otherwise you're also adding sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and vegetable oil. Plus you always dial in the butter rum flavor to your liking.
That's actually what I just went and picked up this evening. I actually got butter flavor extract as well as rum flavor extract so I can balance the flavor between the two at I like. I'm thinking possibly a tsp of each in a half gallon to start and see where to go from there.

Yeah that's a good idea to balance them out. And just work in small increments because it's hard to fix if you overshoot with the flavor.

Yeah that's a good idea to balance them out. And just work in small increments because it's hard to fix if you overshoot with the flavor.
I'm hoping to come up with an alcoholic clone of Universal Studios Butterbeer recipe. I know that if I nail it that it will take time, but I'm going to get it one day. Theirs has lactose in it though, I do believe and that just isn't gonna work for mead

I'm hoping to come up with an alcoholic clone of Universal Studios Butterbeer recipe. I know that if I nail it that it will take time, but I'm going to get it one day. Theirs has lactose in it though, I do believe and that just isn't gonna work for mead
Sounds like lactose in mead shouldn't be totally out of the equation: Lactose in mead?

Lactose will give it a milky taste and sweetness, which I'm guessing pairs with the 'buttery flavours. I don't see anything 'wrong' with it perse.

Any reason it has to be a mead if you're going for a butter rum flavour? Could you try an ale of some sort? Is it carbonated? I've never had it.

Also, my suggestion would be to brew a bigger batch, say a gallon. Then pull smaller sizes. Say 1/4 gallon at a time. (I'd do 100ml and make it a 4l batch but I'm metric) then dial in your ratios. That way you can scale it up easily?

If you're having trouble adding the concentrate in such tiny volumes, you can also dilute a bottle of it with mead, say go to 10x ratio (1oz bottle with 9oz to get 10oz) and then you have 1/10th the strength and can add it a little easier. E.G you know you need 20 drops of rum and 10 of butter at 1/10th then you know you need 2 and 1 of full strength.

Just some ideas, not sure how strong or what size your concentrates are.

Lactose will give it a milky taste and sweetness, which I'm guessing pairs with the 'buttery flavours. I don't see anything 'wrong' with it perse.

Any reason it has to be a mead if you're going for a butter rum flavour? Could you try an ale of some sort? Is it carbonated? I've never had it.

Also, my suggestion would be to brew a bigger batch, say a gallon. Then pull smaller sizes. Say 1/4 gallon at a time. (I'd do 100ml and make it a 4l batch but I'm metric) then dial in your ratios. That way you can scale it up easily?

If you're having trouble adding the concentrate in such tiny volumes, you can also dilute a bottle of it with mead, say go to 10x ratio (1oz bottle with 9oz to get 10oz) and then you have 1/10th the strength and can add it a little easier. E.G you know you need 20 drops of rum and 10 of butter at 1/10th then you know you need 2 and 1 of full strength.

Just some ideas, not sure how strong or what size your concentrates are.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a mead. I could possibly start with a cream ale and go from there, I was just wanting something with a higher ABV as a base. Just tossing around ideas right now though. Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I certainly will. I currently have a cyser in primary that had a SG of 1.092 that I'm going to experiment with secondary flavors and fruits. I cracked a bottle of the blueberry last night and the yeast mustve started back up cause it was surprisingly, and delightfully carbonated. I was POSITIVE I had crashed the yeast by keeping it in the fridge for two weeks in secondary but I guess not. Lol

Did you bring the bottles back out? Cause cold only slows them down. To fully stabilise you need k-meta (Potassium Metabisulphate) and Potassium Sorbate. This removes all oxygen and then kills off all yeast. Otherwise the fridge just buys time.

Back