Fermentability and Harry Potter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose40

Reaction score
I had been trying to figure out what to do with my 1 gallon carboy, as it has been empty for some time. I like to do specialty stuff in there, thinking that if I screw it up - it's only one gallon.

Anyway, I read on the mead forums here about a guy who did a butterscotch mead. I thought that was definitely something worth trying. I was wondering why I had such an attraction to the drink, and I then I remembered that it reminded me of "butter beer" from Harry Potter (Yeah, I'm nerdy, so what?).

Upon this realization, I had an idea to make a butterscotch BEER instead of a butterscotch mead. I want it to be super frothy and sweet, just like the stuff from the book.

My brew day was Saturday.

My question/concern here is about the butterscotch syrup I used. I read on the mead forum that the person who made the mead used Werther's candy. I read the ingredients from those, and the ingredients from the ice cream topping that I used and found that the ice cream topping has actually less milk, and less fat. I thought: If the candies worked, why shouldn't the syrup?

Anyway, the stuff is starting to smell fairly sour and I'm starting to think that the milk in the candies may be dehydrated milk, and somehow better?

Does anyone have experience with milk in their beer? I just read about butterscotch extract being an option, and I wish I used that. Is there any hope that my batch won't spoil?

Back