Butternut squash in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicsandbeer83

Reaction score
A friend of mine suggested we do a butternut squash flavored beer. I am skeptical about how that type of flavor will translate to beer. I feel it doesn't have a pronounced enough flavor to really stand out amidst the malt and hops in most any beer. What do you all think? Is it possible to pull off?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A friend of mine suggested we do a butternut squash flavored beer. I am skeptical about how that type of flavor will translate to beer. I feel it doesn't have a pronounced enough flavor to really stand out amidst the malt and hops in most any beer. What do you all think? Is it possible to pull off?

WHY? all I can ask is WHY? somethings should not be done even if they can. Remember hops, yeast, malt and water, that is all you need.

Usually though most pumpkin ales don't even taste like pumpkin, because pumpkin itself is sort of flavorless without various spices. Basically to me most pumpkin ales end up tasting like the spices one uses to give pumpkin any taste whatsoever.

So basically you think it will be hard to get any sort of defined squash flavor? I'm afraid it will just come out weird and artificial.

I've been doing some research on something similar, planning to make an experimental beer of my own once I have a better grasp of the basics :) With that in mind, I haven't actually had a chance to TEST anything from these sources....

Here's a link to a Northern Brewer Youtube video about adding real pumpkin to one of their extract kits: youtube.com/watch?v=dTdBV3yvYm8; like Flars said, pumpkin is just another kind of squash. This fun little article called "Apocalypse Beer: How to Ferment Anything" has a section about vegetables as well.

Sounds icky, I guess it comes down to this: is the time, malts, money, keg space/bottles and effort worth a beer that tastes like a gourd? hmmmm...

Funny seeing this post when for a quarter of the year the shelves are filled with beers that taste like a gourd. ..pumpkin.

I don't see a problem trying squash. You may not get much flavor from it but, as people have said, pumpkin is in the same family. I've even seen someone that uses yams instead of pumpkin for their "pumpkin" ale. Not sure how much flavor you'll get but I say go for it.

BYO Magazine has an article on this very subject this month - pumpkin...sweet potato...squash...

At least I think it does... Been a long week...

Funny seeing this post when for a quarter of the year the shelves are filled with beers that taste like a gourd. ..pumpkin.
That must be a USA thing, I've only ever seen a couple unpopular ones in Europe. Do they really taste that great or do you think it might have a little to do with marketing, Halloween parties and novelty?

Pumpkin, Butternut and Acorn squash are all basically the same when it comes to cooking. They provide very little sugar or flavor, but do provide mouth feel. You can get the same taste for a pumpkin ale by adding lactose and pumpkin pie spices. Pyramid's pumpkin ale has no pumpkin in it at all and is very popular (although I don't care for it). I know a cook that uses yams in her pumpkin bread and no one would tell her that it wasn't pumpkin. It is all about the texture and mouth feel, the spices are what we are all conditioned to believe is the pumpkin taste.

That must be a USA thing, I've only ever seen a couple unpopular ones in Europe. Do they really taste that great or do you think it might have a little to do with marketing, Halloween parties and novelty?

Its probably a bit of both. Some people say you don't get much flavor from the gourds, others swear by them. Pumking is delicious, and Good Gourd is like having a nice glass of pumpkin pie for desert, its amazing.

If you do it, roast in the oven first to really bring out the squash flavor. In the words of Sam Calgione, Off Centered Ales for Off Centered people. Never be afraid to try something, that's why it's called "craft beer".

Back