Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I accidentally poured some cream into a scalded jar and then some buttermilk fell in it.

PXL_20201027_211636279~2.jpg

Looks like butter. Pretty cool, Kent.

For me, it's as simple as putting cream in my food processor and hitting play.

They key is to put the butter ball under water and press out the whey. Any whey left in the butter will significantly limit it's life, especially if you intend on keeping it at room temp.

There are lots of butter molds that you can use to form it into nice blocks, etc. Also, some sheep and other forms that are pretty nifty for holidays. I have a butter form like that.

Thanks, Andrew.

We tried to culture the cream first. We've done it before and it turned out fantastic, but this time it isn't coming through as much. When we poured the soured cream into the food processor it smelled like good sour cream, but it doesn't seem to come through in the butter.

My kitchen is kind of cold right now, I think that was the problem. I almost stuck it in my instant pot and set it for yogurt, but most everything I've seen/read indicates that temps in the 70Fs are best.

It's definitely not bad, it just isn't that funky, cultured taste.

And we're still planning to make buttermilk pancakes tomorrow.

Thanks, Andrew.

We tried to culture the cream first. We've done it before and it turned out fantastic, but this time it isn't coming through as much. When we poured the soured cream into the food processor it smelled like good sour cream, but it doesn't seem to come through in the butter.

My kitchen is kind of cold right now, I think that was the problem. I almost stuck it in my instant pot and set it for yogurt, but most everything I've seen/read indicates that temps in the 70Fs are best.

It's definitely not bad, it just isn't that funky, cultured taste.

And we're still planning to make buttermilk pancakes tomorrow.

Aaaah, I see, cultured with the buttermilk. That sounds pretty great :)

I had penicillium rocqueforti (probably a horrible misspelling) infect my homemade butter once. That's the blue-green mold that makes blue cheese. It was really good! Lucky accident.

Back