Butter at the bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanwallner

Reaction score
So I made a munich helles and used Cali lager yeast. Week and a half at 60 degrees. Diacetyl rest at 70 for a couple days. Now it's been kegged at 40 for almost two weeks. The problem is the first glass is pure butter and real hazy. It tastes like popcorn. Every glass after is much better but still that butter/ corn lingering taste. Someone actually thought it was honey malt. My question is. Is there anything you can do to clean it up. It goes to a Oktoberfest this weeked. Swmbo thinks it's very drinkable. But I'm alot pickier naturally. Thanks for the input. Cheers. SW

Maybe try crashing it and racking to another keg to get the sediment to fall out and get it off the sediment.
Swimbo ...you are on your own...

-cheers

My first batch using a plastic fermenter that had been infected with pediococcus was slightly buttery, just enough to think i didnt rest/ferment right. Second was all butter as it took over the bucket.
Not saying thats your problem, just something to keep in back if your mind if the butter flavor comes back in a future batch

So after some research and feedback I think its definately diacetyl and I think I know why. After primary I cold crashed it with anoth hefe I was doing. I think this stopped the yeast. Can I take it out of the keezer and let it sit at room temp without hurting it any further. and will this help. Or should I leave it and drink it up

Generally, it's really hard to get rid of diacetyl rest after the beer has finished and been racked. That's why the diacetlyl rest is done at the end of primary, so that the still active yeast will digest the diacetyl. Once the yeast is finished, and then mostly racked off of, getting rid of the diacetyl isn't easy. You could try repitching via krausening at fermentation temperatures, but it's sort of a pain so if the beer is drinkable I'd just drink up and remember to do a thorough diacetyl rest the next time you do a lager.

Thanks yooper. That's what I was thinking. I figured because of the Cali lager yeast it wouldn't be that important but apparently I need to pay better attention. It's being served tommorrow to a bunch of bud light drinkers. So I don't think they will complain that much. It's free beer. Cheers

Latest posts

Back